Daisy has lost her voice!

Marisa14

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
My almost 2 year old chicken, Daisy seems to have lost her voice. She is eating and drinking normally and runs over to greet me when I go into the run but her voice is raspy. An advice would be greatly appreciated!

Look inside her throat for any sign of a foreign body stuck in there. Is she coughing or sneezing?
I just got hone from work and had a look. It looks fine, I couldn’t see anything in there. She’s not sneezing or coughing.

It could be a crop issue. Check her crop for fullness and hardness. And be sure to check it overnight to be sure it's emptying.

The bottom line is her behavior. As long as her appetite is good and she's active, I wouldn't worry about her raspy voice.

i would love to... I’m just not sure how I have uploaded it to YouTube and now I’m stumped...!
It could be a crop issue. Check her crop for fullness and hardness. And be sure to check it overnight to be sure it's emptying.

The bottom line is her behavior. As long as her appetite is good and she's active, I wouldn't worry about her raspy voice.
Her crop is fine... I check it regularly because she had an impacted crop this time last year!
Could it be the shavings?? I just opened a new bag last week...

I doubt it's the shavings. If her voice persists in being raspy, she may be growing a cyst on her larnyx or something of that sort. I had a hen that developed a raspy voice, and I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about as she behaved normally until a crop disorder finally did her in.

I doubt it's the shavings. If her voice persists in being raspy, she may be growing a cyst on her larnyx or something of that sort. I had a hen that developed a raspy voice, and I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about as she behaved normally until a crop disorder finally did her in.
Oh No! She’s my favourite and I need her to be healthy and live FOREVER!!

My hen lived during my early reign as a chicken keeper and I didn't know about crop disorders. She had a pendulous crop, and it was preventing her crop from emptying each night completely. So the result was a low grade yeast infection pretty much constantly. Since she behaved normally, I didn't treat her with a crop bra that could have prolonged her life. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom