Dandruff like shedding but no signs of movement

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
I have two birds out of 20, who suffer from this. My bcm hen has always had dandruff on her now her offspring has it that i hatched in incubator. she never raised it. hes always itching and white flakes fall off of him..i use de dust regularly espec under his wings. The white dandruff locking stuff does not move..ever. So i dont think it could be lice or mites?

Knowing the ages of these dandruff-y chickens would be helpful. Heavy fallout of dander naturally occurs as a chicken molts. Sometimes it's associated with feathers growing in.

If you suspect feather mites, examine the skin around the vent. It's a moist area and where most parasites congregate.

If it does turn out these chickens have mites or lice, DE isn't going to kill them. You need a poultry dust with Permethrin in it. Or a liquid such as spinosad. These are non-toxic and safe to use on chickens

DE is drying and possibly causing part of the issue. Some birds will be more sensitive than others. I personally won't have that crud at my house. If it makes micro cuts to bugs it MUST be doing the same thing to the birds and their immune system is constantly working to heal the skin... the largest organ in the body. :confused:

Pin feather sheaths... can create a dandruff effect. Usually removed during preening, but still left to fall off wherever.

Pics can help give us a better idea of what you are seeing. :pop

:fl

DE is drying and possibly causing part of the issue. Some birds will be more sensitive than others. I personally won't have that crud at my house. If it makes micro cuts to bugs it MUST be doing the same thing to the birds and their immune system is constantly working to heal the skin... the largest organ in the body. :confused:

Pin feather sheaths... can create a dandruff effect. Usually removed during preening, but still left to fall off wherever.

Pics can help give us a better idea of what you are seeing. :pop

:fl
That makes sense..since it is my black copper maran and her offspring, therefore, maybe its hereditary the skin being sensitive i will try my hardest to capture a photo. lets see THe mother is about 15 months where as the offspring is 5 months..it affected the mother worse when she was younger like the same age as her offspring, that i hatched in my incubator

I have two birds out of 20, who suffer from this. My bcm hen has always had dandruff on her now her offspring has it that i hatched in incubator. she never raised it. hes always itching and white flakes fall off of him..i use de dust regularly espec under his wings. The white dandruff locking stuff does not move..ever. So i dont think it could be lice or mites?
Do they have access to a proper dust bath?

Fifteen months is about when a chicken gets their first molt. Lots of dander to be expected. The younger one may be going through a mini-molt as is normal with growing chickens.

My chickens love dirt bathing to soothe their itching skin. It also expedites the feathers falling away to encourage the new growth.

Back
Top Bottom