Dangerous powder for Pest control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sissy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Sevier county, Tn.
I have a question about controlling Mites lice etc..
I have heard about the Garden dust ...Seven
is it safe to mix into the wood shavings for the coop floor.
or can it burn the feet of the flock and what happens if it gets
into their feed. or water?

I wouldn't do that. Especially if your chicken are laying eggs. Sevin is a poison, thus is poisonous. It can be used to dust chickens with, but I would never put it in the shavings.

If you are looking for something to add to the shavings as a good preventative, I would go with food grade DE. I use it in both of my coops and have never had a problem with mites or lice.

G>G> Thanks for the advice I have been using permactrin
but ran out and need to clean up some, and have the seven
for the garden and thought I would try it. .
cant find De in our TSC or Co-op..
gosh I dont want to use it in the garden now..

my feed store had DE but not food grade, so i bought mine from Spatcher (on the byc.) i am pretty sure that holistic horse (online store) has it too.

good luck!

I havent ever had a problem with mites or lice but I have though about buying some of the garden seven that is kept in local feed stores around the house so I am glad I ran across this topic.

Thank you

Quote:
'Tis true, that people are using this, but I would not because I try to do the more "natural" approach to things we eat. That is just the way I do things and how I care to grow my food that I feed to my family. Thus, you have my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less!
wink.png

BTW - I did see that lesterlu pointed out that Spatcher here on BYC sells the DE. He does and that's who I've bought mine from. He ships very quickly too.
smile.png

I was reading just today in one of my chicken books (The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens by Esther Verhoef and Aad Rijs, pg 76) that some breeders put tobacco stems in the nest boxes and it will drive the mites away, they don't like the smell. You could probably mix it in with the shavings on the floor and add some to the nest boxes. Its all natural too!

If you have an infestation than food grade DE won't help. You need poultry dust with premethrin or use the sevin. Neither will harm your birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom