Dangerously large eggs?

EdenCamp

Songster
7 Years
Other than becomming bow legged - (ok and risk of prolapse) I'm wondering what is going on here - if there is reason for concern and if so, what should be done.

I've seen some pretty good sized eggs out of my 18 month Orps but this monster out of a 8 mo CCM hen just blew me away. Egg on left is a good size at 1.9oz the monster weighs in at 3.3!

I had a hen that laid monster eggs like that, a couple of times I saw and heard the pain she was in when laying. It was probably the same as giving birth to a 20 pound baby, everyday. I was actually happy when her pain stopped when she died at 19 months old. If I ever get another one like her, I'll probably put her down.

This is the first time so not sure yet if this is going to be a regular occurance or not. This group has CCM roo and hens, SLW roo and hens and a RIR roo. Figgured I could tell from egg color / chick color who's was who's. IF happens periodicly I'm wondering if the roo would have a bearing on eggs size? The RIR is a big boy....but the CM is no slouch size wise either.

I have EE's that are 10 months old and every once in a while one will lay a double yolk er that is huge, Makes me think of one of my Muscovy's eggs. thank fully it's not often, but when I mentioned it on here someone said they can lay large eggs like these at the end of their laying cycle, so maybe thats her reason. if not get out the needle and thread she may need some stitches.

Laying monsters once in a while is OK, mine always laid monsters, almost everyday.

Young hen - she's only been laying a few months. I know my BO's are from the season before and they can lay some honkers - still nothing like this tho...Makes my knees clap together just thinking about it!
lau.gif
Not sure why, but that struck me as funny. I have a Buckeye that lays double-yolkers at least twice a week. I don't worry about it. After all, there is nothing we can do to modify the size of egg that they lay.

The rooster has no impact on the size of the egg.

My new layers often lay xl or double yolker eggs on and off. Their system's just glitching a little, not to fret.

IF happens periodicly I'm wondering if the roo would have a bearing on eggs size? The RIR is a big boy....but the CM is no slouch size wise either.

Doesn't many any difference at all. The egg comes entirely from the hen. While the resulting embryo contained in the egg is a product of both male and female, the egg itself is the product of only the female. The single spermatazoa that fertilizes the egg is a single cell, so it doesn't contribute any real size or weight to the egg. At the point of lay, the cells that will eventually make up the embryo have only started to divide and specialize a teeny bit, then the embryo stops growing until it's triggered by heat. You've seen the photos of fertile vs. infertile eggs, right? No real difference other than the teeny bit of development in the germinal disk on the surface of the yolk.

Would be cool if it were true, however. Then I could get some Jersey Giant roos and never have to worry about those annoying small and medium sized eggs again!

Last edited:
LOL! That 20lb baby every day comment really did make the knees slap together - lawd hab moicey!

I'd rather ask a "stupid" question than remain ignorant - ignorance is easily curable, stooopid ain't!

Nah, the reason I was asking about the roo having any bearing was due to a Maran comment made - where if both the hen and the roo were maran the eggs would be a darker brown. Same with a blue egger roo with hens. So it begged the question if egg color could be impacted by the roo could the egg size also? Bulls impact birthweight of calves after all.

Haven't cracked the egg yet to see if double or even triple yoker yet - I'm still admiring in amazment!

Back
Top Bottom