Dangers in mixing Species?

Jay-Mar28

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ontario Canada
i myself have rouens -1 drake 2 hens. plus 6 one week olds. and i also just recieved some young muscovies. Will it be dangerous to put them all together once the youngsters and bigger?

ive tried looking online to see which species can live together and which ones will just be bad news and cant find anything on it. I figure theres a lot of experience on this site with all our followers to create a guide per say of what other species are safe. We can include Ducks living with chickens or geese as these seem to be most common scenerios. Plus which modification to runs and coops we have been made to compinsate this and keep everyone happy.

Have a good day and thanks for any feed back.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have the following that all live together:

Calls – 3 drakes, 1 hen
Runners – 1 drake, 3 hens
Mallards – 1 drake, 1 hen
Pekins – 3 hens
Muskovies – 1 drake, 1 hen
Farm Ducks – 3 drakes, 1 hen
Cayugas – 1 drake, 3 hens

They all live together just fine. The only ones I have problems with are the farm ducks because they like to breed with any female but they aren't mean
smile.png

I have 5 Pekins that live with my 11 chickens and everyone gets along fine. They do tend to stay in seperate groups until the treats come out then it becomes a feathered feeding frenzy with me in the middle.

I have many different ducks. Everything from Runners to Muscovy. As a matter of fact I have regular duck babies and muscovy duck babies of about the same age in the baby pen together right now.

They all live happily. The muscovy are more stuck up and think they rule the barn yard. But everyone gets along ok.

I wouldn't think dangerous as long as they're close to the same size to start with.

In the long run, you may end up with "mule" ducks -- hybrids. I believe they're generally sterile.

Back
Top Bottom