Dangers in your own backyard (updated with graphic photo pg 6)

wanda047

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Hardy, Arkansas
I wasn't sure where to post this, so decided that this section might work as this involves my family and backyard and the dangers that I have discovered lurking there in just the past two days. I'm actually going to tell you two stories, one with a happy ending, the other tragic.

Day before yesterday I started out the door to check on my chickens when the phone rang. It was my neighbor calling to check on my daughter (second story). She just talked and talked. Getting a little impatient I stepped out on the deck to look out on the 16 Buff Orpingtons I had running loose in the yard. It was only their third day to free-range. What I saw was totally amazing. All 16 chickens were standing in a perfect circle... each staring at something on the ground in front of them. I strained to see what had their attention. It was one of the largest copperhead snakes I had ever seen. I watched as the chickens stepped aside to let it pass through the circle.

Not far away playing was my youngest adopted son (age 2), a foster child (age 6) and two grandsons. I quickly excused myself from the talkative neighbor and took off for the backyard, screaming at my son and husband to grab their guns. By the time I reached the yard, the snake was no where in sight, but I knew the direction it was headed (behind the Silkies coop). My 18 year old son, stepped behind the coop and the next thing I saw was him running backwards, the snake was waiting for him and lunged at him as he turned the corner. A series of shots from my husband and son's guns followed.

I know there are those who will criticize us for killing this snake, but my backyard should be one of the safest places for my children to play. And it was not! I make no apologizes for killing this snake and am very thankful that my chickens alerted me to this danger. However, the danger that lurked in the yard the previous evening was even more dangerous... my very own dog.

The little girl in my avatar is my 12 year old daughter. Sara spends a lot of her time in this backyard with my 70+ chickens and turkeys. I recently posted a message about her on this forum about how much my chickens love her. On this particular day, she and I had been in the yard with my 6 year old foster daughter playing and watching the chickens. Nearby was my boxer, Bo and beagle pup, Spanky. My boxer is very protective and has always been very attentive with my children. Never in our wildest dreams would we ever consider him a threat to any of us and especially not the children.

I had to run into the house to give my son some medicine and left the girls outside, telling them I would be right back. I had only been in the house for a matter of minutes when I heard screams that I will never forget.

While I was gone, the puppy started yelping, and Sara went to investigate. Somehow Spanky had managed to get a stick stuck in one of his paws. Sara picked the pup up to try and help. The boxer apparently thought Sara was hurting the puppy and came charging at Sara. She pushed him away, turning her back on him, still trying to remove the stick from the puppy's paw. Again the dog lunged at her, and she continued to push Bo away and scold him. The boxer became very agitated and this time attacked Sara with all he had, knocking her to the ground and viscously biting and tearing at her leg. He repeatedly pounced on her with his front legs, while shaking his head and ripping muscle and skin from her calf. She was a brave little girl and fought him with all her might, escaping from him once. However, he made a circle in the yard and came back for more. He leapt for her face and she caught him by his throat, kicking him with her leg which now had skin and meat hanging from it. He backed off.

By the time I reached her, the attack was over. She had collapsed on the ground covered in blood, crying, and asking me if she were going to die. Bo was still circling the yard, and I was too scared to leave her to get help. I was home alone. I have never felt so helpless. Sara weighs almost as much as me and I wasn't sure I could pick her up, let alone carry her the distance I would have to carry her to safety, but I did.

My husband drove into the driveway as I was placing her in my car. The nearest hospital was an hour away. It was a very long drive. Sara is now home recuperating slowly. She will carry the scars for the rest of her life. The calf of her leg has been repaired with a drain tube, 3 layers of stitches to put muscle and skin back together and a 5 inch row of staples. She has numerous other bites that had to be stitched. Her faced is scratched. She has a hematoma the size of my fist on the inside of her thigh where the dog pounced on her with all his weight. The pain is severe at times and she has cried till she has thrown up.

I can't tell you the guilt my husband and I both feel over this situation. Our pet, whom we all loved and trusted, ended up being one of the worst threats our children could have ever encountered and we're just sick over this. I'm sorry this is so long, but I felt the need to share if just to give others the heads up... man's best friend can't always be trusted.

Please pray for Sara.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry for what happened to your little girl. Kids are resilient and I hope so much that she has a speedy recovery.

Wow! I have no words..i am just so very sorry for your daughter. What a brave girl to fight the dog off like that! ANd this is a BIG reminder to us that we can NEVER fully trust an animal...never. What a sad story! Whats happend to the dog now? What a tough place for you to be in..Best Wishes for you all
hugs.gif

And i also wanted to say, Please dont blame yourself. You had no way of knowing that this would happen.

Last edited:
your *Sara* had touched my heart from the first story you wrote about your chickens loving her so, and then this. It just broke my heart. So wrong to happen to such and animal loving girl. I greatly hope it wont change her love of them, and that the sweetness of the chickens will heal her heart. It sounds like her body will heal, and then animals themselvs will have to help with the heart. Im just so sorry and send love and healing from our family.

heavens you guys have been through a rollercoaster. So sorry about what your whole family went through. Your daughter in your avatar is beautiful, and sounds like an incredibly sensitive and sensible girl to have tried to help the pup and save herself. Wish her all the healing I can send. That sounds like a really complicated wound she has there.
I am glad you had the forum here to pour yourself to, it sounds like you needed to get this all down and out.

Healing for you all

hugs.gif

The boxer apparently thought Sara was hurting the puppy and came charging at Sara. She pushed him away, turning her back on him, still trying to remove the stick from the puppy's paw. Again the dog lunged at her, and she continued to push Bo away and scold him.

It's so hard when we face something like this. We want to take care of our kids so badly, all she wanted to do was help the pup, the adult dog wanted to protect the pup. Your daughter didn't understand what was happening and that she should have waited for you, the dog didn't understand she was trying to help and pushing the dog away agitated it. I'm so sorry for all involved and I hope you don't blame yourself, it was an unfortunate thing that happened and second guessing yourself won't help you or your daughter.
hugs.gif

Try and reassure your daughter that the dog wasn't just attacking her for no reason, the dog in it's mind was protecting the young just as you her own her mother would protect her. You don't want her to be afraid of all dogs or of trying to help one, just to wait for an adult's help.​

What are you going to do with the dog?

as dumb as this sounds, I don't know.

My husband opted to drive Sara to the hospital as he was the sanest at the moment and I was left at home to deal with the other hysterical children and the boxer which was still roaming the yard.

When I called the Sheriff's dept. to report the incident as we were required to do, we were told to pen the dog for 10 days. We have documentation that the dog is up to date on all his shots, but this is the law. We were also given the option to put the dog down and send the head off to be tested for rabies. However, the Sheriff's Dept. recommended that we NOT do this. We were told that the results were not always accurate and they did not want Sara to have to take the unnecessary shots. I considered this and opted to have him penned. (My hubby was not happy with my decision, but he didn't return home until 2 a.m. from the hospital and I had to do something!)

I did not have a place to pen Bo up. I made several phone calls and my neice and her husband volunteered to come and get the dog and pen him at their place in an 8 ft. high covered pen. After 10 days, someone from the sheriff's office will come to inspect the dog. At that time, we intended to put the dog down. However.. to add a twist to this story, my neice and her husband have decided they want to keep Bo. My husband is furious that they would even consider keeping him, penned or not. I'm not sure what the outcome will be yet. They are in possession of the dog, so I guess it will be the decision of the Sheriff's dept. as to what will happen at this point.​

I just had to say that im so sorry your going through this.. What hard decissions to be made while dealing with so much.
BTW, sure glad your chickens alearted you to the snake!! enough is enough!! that could have been another tragedy.. Blessings to you all...

When I was 16 the chow mix my sister (5) picked out growled at her. Our parents were out and I was babysitting her, I walked over to see what was going on, and it lunged and tore a chunk out of my thigh (which was about the same height as her throat). I had to call 911 and my aunt to come watch my sis while I went to the hospital. My sister threw a tantrum when my aunt told her we'd have to get rid of cinnamon.

MY PARENTS KEPT THE DARN DOG.

It is now 15 years later and I still don't forgive them for keeping the dog that attacked me, oh and the dog? about 10 months later my sister got bored of the puppy, so they drove it out to the country and dumped it.

Back
Top Bottom