Dangers of plastic netting embedded in new turf

Hill walker

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Gloucestershire , England
Hi everyone. I am just returfing my lawn and the contractor pointed out that the turf he normally uses has very fine inch wide mesh squares in the turf, half way down to make it stronger. Does anyone have any experience of using this with chickens? Is it likely to be a hazard to them? Perhaps get their beaks caught or swallow some if they broke it. I know they will make a mess of the lawn once established but wondered if the mess would make it last longer if not dangerous to them. Any advice gratefull received. Thank you

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am not sure what you are working with. You might want to post this in our Coop and Run Construction forums or even our Managing your Flock section to see if anyone has used this product before and whether or not it can cause issues...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock

Good luck and I hope someone can help you in one of these places. :)

Oh, and welcome to our flock!

Thank you. I have copied it where you suggested. It seems to be how a lot of turf is constructed over here (UK) to make the rolls stronger and easier to move without breaking apparently. The mesh is very fine plastic and about half way down through the length of the turf roll.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you a good link to check out. Does the mesh degrade or is it plastic, if plastic especially I would be leery of it. We had some round bales of hay that were held together using mesh similar to what you are describing, I did have a couple of chickens who got it tangled in their feet when they scratched missed pieces laying around that didn't get picked up.

Hi everyone. I am just returfing my lawn and the contractor pointed out that the turf he normally uses has very fine inch wide mesh squares in the turf, half way down to make it stronger. Does anyone have any experience of using this with chickens? Is it likely to be a hazard to them? Perhaps get their beaks caught or swallow some if they broke it. I know they will make a mess of the lawn once established but wondered if the mess would make it last longer if not dangerous to them. Any advice gratefull received. Thank you
welcome-byc.gif

If your chickens dig it up they will get it wrapped around their legs and you will need to cut it off so just maintain your new lawn ......

Haven't seen it used around chickens but, in our area after sewer pipes were put in, they re-seeded the grass using the plastic mesh stuff. It wasn't even good for humans. WE don't have sidewalks and going across the lawn (it was normal height by then) the plastic would still catch on shoes etc, and trip people. I don't think it ever degrades - just gets buried under grass. Out of sight but, still a threat.

Back
Top Bottom