d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Karen, we have a pip! Day 19 fully underway now! This Genesis has been trouble free as far as temp. Needed more water additions throughout because of the dry winter air, of course, but it's good and we are on our way.

ETA: This is too funny-just noticed that the egg marked #1 is the first to pip.
lol.png

Last edited:
BBB - Here are some better pics of the Silver dude and the first Porcelain roo (Big daddy) Standing up a bit better, I think.

Alyssa, I pretty much agree with Aubrey (be dumb not to). The Silver is pretty good could be a little shorter in the back and the comb is pretty easy to fix, with a hen that has a low comb. As far as the color I think he has one gold gene, has to if he came from where I think he did. Crossed with a silver hen half your pullets will be silver quail and half will be quail. The roosters half will be pure silver quail and the other half will be silvers with one gold gene. The same road I went down to get mine.
The porcelain is pretty much why I am looking for a good rooster. too long in the back, to long in the legs. His neck and chest are just too thin and that makes him look real long from the "waist" up. But like Aubrey said it could be kind of a posture thing, but I think they either have it or they don't. Also to me he looks kind of "Crow Headed". Compared to the silver look at the distance from his eye up to the bottom of his comb. See how narrow his head looks compared to the silver.

jj

And thank you so much for the tips and advice, Aubrey! :)

No problem . And yes the porcelain looks better in that new pic. But he's still just OK. Not a real breeder type. Tails a bit pinched ( thin and not plump and full) but he does look much better anyway than I had originally thought.
Like I said, they and the mille seem to be a ruff one for any body to get really great type in. They all want to be too slim and long. But were working on that !!

It's got a big hole now and is cheeping and will probably be out in about 15 minutes. I saw another egg rock, but no visible pips yet. Day 20 just began though.

ETA: It has hatched and it's a mille color.

Last edited:
Ive never seen that one. Interesting.

Karen, two more pips this morning. One is the only one I had marked as Aimee's egg so I know that will be Mille colored since Aimee is a straight Mille Fleur, but naturally, all are splits. I hope to see one porcelain somewhere in here. If one of Maura's hatches, it ought to be. Mina's also could be, but I don't have any of hers marked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom