d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

th.gif
Maybe you need to sing to them or something.

Karen, here are some photos of the just hatched chick, also clean legged, though it's Aimee's chick, and the other pipped ones. The first one is having trouble getting it's right leg underneath it and we'll work with it, but this one is trucking all over the bator with no problem at all. That is typical of Aimee's chicks-most of them are pullets, too.

We have three hatched and three pipped at this point. So far, all three are mille, but the first one is very light and grayish mille, a blondie I call it. A porcelain would appear almost pearly-silvery white.

The first one has a problem with the right hock joint. Could be she was just malpositioned in her egg. Will keep working with her, but if it won't get better, we'll euthanize her. The other two seem boisterous and strong. All three are clean legged.

ETA: Four are hatched, all mille colored, though one is especially light. Two well-pipped. I'm sure I've seen at least one more rocking. Day 21 is starting soon. Hopefully, we'll see a few more pip by morning. All four are clean legged.

Last edited:
Five chicks are hatched, all mille colored, all clean legged. One is still pipped. Day 21 is starting.

I may go to bed soon . Was up too late last night, then up before 6 a.m. with the first chick that hatched and I'm a little queasy with exhaustion.

As that last chick is drying, it looks quite silvery to me, with darker wing tips, so I'm wondering if it is a porcelain, albeit a darker one. We'll see when it's fluffy.

ETA: I removed 3 eggs. They had quit at various stages. There is the one pipped, five chicks in the brooder (the first one, I think has a twisted hock) and five others unpipped in the Genesis. I candled one or two of those that had movement, but from experience, that doesn't mean they will necessarily pip or hatch. Have to get to bed right now. Hopefully, Karen, there will be at least 5-6 chicks, not what I expected and no reason for it other than the time of year and the fact that six of my twelve layers were first year pullets. That never is a problem with my LF birds, but who knows with these, especially at this time of year? Anyway, I'm hoping at least one or two of the unpipped ones will show up tomorrow, which is Day 21.

Last edited:
As of this morning, there are six chicks in the brooder. I don't see any pipped so I will candle the remaining five eggs today and see if there is at least one that is just late.

The first one hatched has a hock that is not cooperating. It can't get the leg underneath it to stand properly. Karen, if you want to work with her, I'll just give her to you to see what you can do, if you want to try. I tried a hobble, but we are not great at that on such a tiny chick, all thumbs the two of us and my husband can't see much close up, either, lol. I'm sure it wasn't incubation since the others hatched clean and easy and it's not a genetic thing with these, probably either it was in a bad position in the egg or could be a singular birth defect. The comb is not broad so it may be a pullet. The others are doing great. Under the red light and in my dark house, I can't tell if the lightest one is a super light mille or a porcelain yet, will check when the sun comes up.

Back
Top Bottom