d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

I need a better picture. More hens turn out solid colored than cockerel due to sex linked barring.

This is her in clearer photos. I can get some close ups of the feathers if that's helpful?

Attachments

• WP_20171214_10_23_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171214_10_23_28_Pro.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 16
  • WP_20171214_10_22_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171214_10_22_56_Pro.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 14
Hi, fellow D'Anver slaves. My almost 7 yr old porcelain rooster, Aubrey, turns dusky purple in any exertion, even dustbathing. He seems okay, but it seems as if his heart may be stressed. Could just be his age. This winter so far has been much colder than the norm for us here and I almost expect to find him dead under the roost one morning. Aimee and Penny are the same age, too, being two of the original three hens with Mina and Spike about a year younger (Mina is Aimee's daughter and Spike's mother). Sissy is 3 or 4 yrs old, can't recall exactly, but she only laid about a year and quit. No eggs from any of them since Carly died.

Anyone have any videos of their d'anver roosters crowing? Im trying to get an idea of how loud they are. Are they loud enough to cause trouble with neighbors I guess is what im trying to say :p
i PROMISED my husband i would not keep roosters, however 5 yrs in i have a gorgeous bantam black and white mottled cochin roo named Buster. my husband likes him but i put Buster in a large dog crate at night in the garage and then bring him out between 7:30 and 8:30 am....its working. neighbors do NOT mind and in fact LOVE the sound....but our bedroom window is right on chicken yard near their pen....he is not nearly as loud as a bantam old english i had for a short time. he was VERY loud! Buster is not bad at all.

Wow, this thread hasn't been active in awhile, eh? @Boggy Bottom Bantams, I still have my porcelain rooster, named after you, Aubrey, and my Aimee, as well as Penny. They were all 9 years old in April. Carly died a couple of years back, had some sort of issue and began having seizures and could not eat without seizing. I also have Mina, Aimee's 8 yr old daughter and Spike, her son she produced the year she hatched. Spike has something wrong with him, is very unsteady and if he gets stressed, he'll literally do a somersault and lose control of his extremities. Sissy was 7 and died recently, another daughter of Aimee's. So I have just 5 D'Anvers and I'm letting them die out. None lay. I think Aimee and Mina laid a few eggs last year but that's it. Penny has not produced an egg since she was 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom