d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Wow, this thread hasn't been active in awhile, eh? @Boggy Bottom Bantams, I still have my porcelain rooster, named after you, Aubrey, and my Aimee, as well as Penny. They were all 9 years old in April. Carly died a couple of years back, had some sort of issue and began having seizures and could not eat without seizing. I also have Mina, Aimee's 8 yr old daughter and Spike, her son she produced the year she hatched. Spike has something wrong with him, is very unsteady and if he gets stressed, he'll literally do a somersault and lose control of his extremities. Sissy was 7 and died recently, another daughter of Aimee's. So I have just 5 D'Anvers and I'm letting them die out. None lay. I think Aimee and Mina laid a few eggs last year but that's it. Penny has not produced an egg since she was 2 years old.
Nice to hear the update. 9 years old is fantastic!

Nice to hear the update. 9 years old is fantastic!
I expect poor old Aubrey to drop dead every day. He regularly turns blackish-purple at the least bit of stress, even just running or eating fast. His spurs grow long and curved outward and I vacillate between knowing I have to trim them and thinking he'll have a heart attack in my hands if I do because he hates to be touched. I did it once months ago, but they're back to almost hitting the ground again. Spike, on the other hand, is spur-less. Aimee has boundless energy while Penny is always very low-key and still wants to be held. I still call her Pocket Penny.

I expect poor old Aubrey to drop dead every day. He regularly turns blackish-purple at the least bit of stress, even just running or eating fast. His spurs grow long and curved outward and I vacillate between knowing I have to trim them and thinking he'll have a heart attack in my hands if I do because he hates to be touched. I did it once months ago, but they're back to almost hitting the ground again. Spike, on the other hand, is spur-less. Aimee has boundless energy while Penny is always very low-key and still wants to be held. I still call her Pocket Penny.
Sorry Aubrey is slowing down so much.

The rest sound great.

Rest in Peace, sweet Penny. I always called her my Pocket Penny because she loved nothing more than being held. More than once, someone would forget they were holding her (she never uttered a sound) and would walk back into the house with Penny in their arms. Penny was one that my husband said made keeping chickens worth it. Penny would have turned 10 years old in the spring. Thanks to Aubrey Webb (Boggy Bottom Bantams) for these wonderful little hens. Aimee is still with me, as well as my porcelain rooster, Aubrey, their 8 year old daughter, Mina, and their son, Spike. That's all we have left of the D'Anvers now.
1606225737998.png

Rest in Peace, sweet Penny. I always called her my Pocket Penny because she loved nothing more than being held. More than once, someone would forget they were holding her (she never uttered a sound) and would walk back into the house with Penny in their arms. Penny was one that my husband said made keeping chickens worth it. Penny would have turned 10 years old in the spring. Thanks to Aubrey Webb (Boggy Bottom Bantams) for these wonderful little hens. Aimee is still with me, as well as my porcelain rooster, Aubrey, their 8 year old daughter, Mina, and their son, Spike. That's all we have left of the D'Anvers now.
View attachment 2423317
:hugs

Gorgeous birds

Thank you. Spike is gone now. He was going downhill, had neurological issues and was unable to walk well, then his leg was hurt, probably from his lack of balance so he all but begged to be released from his prison. He didn't even resist. Now, it's just Aubrey with Aimee and Mina left.

Thank you. Spike is gone now. He was going downhill, had neurological issues and was unable to walk well, then his leg was hurt, probably from his lack of balance so he all but begged to be released from his prison. He didn't even resist. Now, it's just Aubrey with Aimee and Mina left.
Sorry for your loss.

I do enjoy the updates though.

How old was Spike at his passing?

Sorry for your loss.

I do enjoy the updates though.

How old was Spike at his passing?
He was 9 years old. And today, crazy as this is on the heels of your bringing this thread to life, Aimee, who is one of the originals at 10 years old, laid and egg for the first time in a year. AND, I just got a broody Brahma today, so I put her egg under that big hen with all the huge Brahma eggs, just in case Aubrey is still fertile. Long shot, I know, but still..

Back
Top Bottom