d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

This is just an old pic I had on file, figured I'd add it for reference on the sexing by feather method. This is a phoenix project, so never mind the type and all, just focus on the hackle and saddles. Note how they are all long, thin and pointed, it's the same on our d'anvers too. So if you see feathering like that, you can be certain it's a boy

The girls on the otherhand will look like this. All the feathers in those areas are much fatter and rounded shape with minimal if any pointing to them. There doesnt apear to be distinct "groups" of feathers, just one flowing even ball of them, whereas on the cocks, you can usually see them in groupings, neck area, wing, saddle, tail, all eventually are distinct groups of feathers, if you can understand what I'm trying to say...LOL sometimes it's hard for me to type what I'm trying to express

I like picture explanations! Mine are only 1 week old, so too young to tell yet, but I'm about to get them all out for a "photo shoot" and will post pics later. Thank you so much for your patience with me as a newbie to the breed!

Okay here are some 1 week old pics:
#7...now named Madonna (Don't ask...my kids named them)

#6 Now called Gabby Douglas

#10 Now called Adele

#9, Now called Abbey Road

Group shot

See now I often don't see the pointed feathers starting on d'Anvers til about 8-12 weeks old at the earliest, I'll keep my fingers tightly crossed that for the first time ever I have more girls than boys then.
fl.gif
wee.gif

haha

I hear ya, same here, my wish and want list never ends. Told myself I needed to cut back and not add on anything this year, LOL yeah right!
So far I'm working 4 different order and about 30 new birds... I just cant help myself. It's all stuff I need for projects though, so it'll be worth it in the long run.
Good luck at the show too by the way, maybe Tom wont win everything...
Why is it, I mean ,I have my normal colors I am thinking about what I can do to improve them, I have a couple of projects I am working on now. I have alot planned for next year with silver everything, watermaals and don't have enough pens built for what I want to do. Today out of the blue while power washing the house it comes to me that I could take one of them washed out blue quail cockerels crossed with black pullets and have blues really quick, then splashes. Then the barred columbian (d'Anverware?) came to mind. What causes it?

I am getting a silver quail cockerel from Jeff Brandon, have an order in for a porcelain cockerel with Tom Shepperd so all I have to find is a quail (which should be easy) and I hope they don't have anything that catches my eye while I am out there.

See now I often don't see the pointed feathers starting on d'Anvers til about 8-12 weeks old at the earliest, I'll keep my fingers tightly crossed that for the first time ever I have more girls than boys then.
fl.gif
wee.gif
I don't hatch a great number of chicks, so I spend a lot of time with them when they are little. It seems to me while the boys get fiesty when they are older about every one of the two day olds that try to flog your hand when you feed them turn out to be pullets. The boys all kind of hang back untill three or four months, which goes against what I read. I think they are girls too from the looks of them, girls with attitude.

fl.gif
wee.gif
yep some times it can take a while, I didnt really get into a certain age, but when they are as well feathered as yours are, you can tell. Pretty sure you got the girls for a change!!

Why is it, I mean ,I have my normal colors I am thinking about what I can do to improve them, I have a couple of projects I am working on now. I have alot planned for next year with silver everything, watermaals and don't have enough pens built for what I want to do. Today out of the blue while power washing the house it comes to me that I could take one of them washed out blue quail cockerels crossed with black pullets and have blues really quick, then splashes. Then the barred columbian (d'Anverware?) came to mind. What causes it?

I am getting a silver quail cockerel from Jeff Brandon, have an order in for a porcelain cockerel with Tom Shepperd so all I have to find is a quail (which should be easy) and I hope they don't have anything that catches my eye while I am out there.
haha, yep it's a sickness..

and yep you can make your blues that way in just a year or so, just to get the color leakage out or you could do it right off in one cross.
From there you can blue up anything too.

Take that cuckoo male you got and breed it to a splash hen and you'll get all blue cuckoos then too, one after another....
Think Jeff got all his silvers from me, so they should be some decent birds. I've sent Tom some too and he's done really well on them the past year or two, so he should have some too incase you havent asked him....

haha, yep it's a sickness..

and yep you can make your blues that way in just a year or so, just to get the color leakage out or you could do it right off in one cross.
From there you can blue up anything too.

Take that cuckoo male you got and breed it to a splash hen and you'll get all blue cuckoos then too, one after another....
Think Jeff got all his silvers from me, so they should be some decent birds. I've sent Tom some too and he's done really well on them the past year or two, so he should have some too incase you havent asked him....
Tom is where I got my silver quail rooster that started the silver craze at my place. Been trying to get a hold of him. It would be alot easier to buy the common colors but not near as much fun. Plus I was thinking that if you buy a pair or trio you don't know how close related or how much they have been line bred. If I can make some half decent ones then buy a pair I will have two lines to start my own breeding program with. Don't know if it's the smart thing to do but it makes sense to me.

I was thinking if I used one of the washed out blue quails with the blacks there should be less red leakage than if I used a good bay colored blue quail. It that right?

JJ, I sure wish you could get my Aubrey. He is a really good example of a porcelain, IMO. His comb could be a tad knobbier, but it's broad and not smooth, either. I believe his conformation and color are what breeders look for in a porcelain rooster, from what I've gleaned from yours and Aubrey's generous tutelage here on this thread. I am letting the extra pullets go on Saturday, but for now, Aubrey and Ace are still here. No one has decided they wanted them. Ace is quite small bodied, semi-smooth comb, not the greatest color or conformation generally, but he is sort of like Rufus, liking his chest rubs and beard scratches, so he's not an irritation like that silly Aubrey.

It's so funny to watch Aubrey, though. I can say his name when he's paying no attention to me, his head pops up, cocks up with his eye watching me, then he starts his little intimidation dance, LOL. He sure knows his name.
lol.png
Still, he is nowhere near the pitbull that Rusty was. That boy was a royal PITA.

JJ, I sure wish you could get my Aubrey. He is a really good example of a porcelain, IMO. His comb could be a tad knobbier, but it's broad and not smooth, either. I believe his conformation and color are what breeders look for in a porcelain rooster, from what I've gleaned from yours and Aubrey's generous tutelage here on this thread. I am letting the extra pullets go on Saturday, but for now, Aubrey and Ace are still here. No one has decided they wanted them. Ace is quite small bodied, semi-smooth comb, not the greatest color or conformation generally, but he is sort of like Rufus, liking his chest rubs and beard scratches, so he's not an irritation like that silly Aubrey.

It's so funny to watch Aubrey, though. I can say his name when he's paying no attention to me, his head pops up, cocks up with his eye watching me, then he starts his little intimidation dance, LOL. He sure knows his name.
lol.png
Still, he is nowhere near the pitbull that Rusty was. That boy was a royal PITA.
Me too, Cynthia and I have talked to some judges I know to see if they were going to be down that way but I can't figure out a way to swing it.

Back
Top Bottom