Dapple Daschund Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Actually, you never know what a puppy is going to turn into. That sweet adorable puppy who loves your kids might not be the same in six months or a year. An adult dog is generally a MUCH better choice for a family who wants to know what they're getting into.

However, you are right. Some people want to know what they're getting into. In which case they need to find a GOOD, RESPONSIBLE breeder. One who knows their dog's family (to the OP-do you have a pedigree on your girl? Do you know if her parents/grandparents/siblings/etc had cancer? Heart problems? Anything else?). One who knows their dog's faults (in conformation, temperament, and potentially inheritable diseases). One who has proven that their dogs are worth breeding, that the puppies they produce can do something most other dogs can't (almost ANY dog can be a good pet for someone, and there are millions sitting in shelters to choose from).

Having a good dog does not make that dog a good candidate for breeding. Having friends who say they want your puppies is not a good reason to breed when there is no lack of puppies out there waiting for homes. Doing so makes you an unethical dog breeder.

There are over 5000 Dachshunds listed on Petfinder right now. That isn't all inclusive, that's just via the shelters and rescues that list there. I'm sure among those 5000+ dogs, there are a few the OP's friends would be happy to have.

Quote:
Actually, you never know what a puppy is going to turn into. That sweet adorable puppy who loves your kids might not be the same in six months or a year. An adult dog is generally a MUCH better choice for a family who wants to know what they're getting into.

However, you are right. Some people want to know what they're getting into. In which case they need to find a GOOD, RESPONSIBLE breeder. One who knows their dog's family (to the OP-do you have a pedigree on your girl? Do you know if her parents/grandparents/siblings/etc had cancer? Heart problems? Anything else?). One who knows their dog's faults (in conformation, temperament, and potentially inheritable diseases). One who has proven that their dogs are worth breeding, that the puppies they produce can do something most other dogs can't (almost ANY dog can be a good pet for someone, and there are millions sitting in shelters to choose from).

Having a good dog does not make that dog a good candidate for breeding. Having friends who say they want your puppies is not a good reason to breed when there is no lack of puppies out there waiting for homes. Doing so makes you an unethical dog breeder.

There are over 5000 Dachshunds listed on Petfinder right now. That isn't all inclusive, that's just via the shelters and rescues that list there. I'm sure among those 5000+ dogs, there are a few the OP's friends would be happy to have.

I didn't open this to get bashed about me wanting to breed my dog!!!! I was looking for information about the dapple color
ONLY so thanks but i don' t need your comments on this thread anymore!!

A person who wants to be a good breeder is ALWAYS open to information how how to do things responsibly.

Unethical is a very serious word to throw around. And a very extreme way of describing this.
Apparently my earlier post was completely ignored, as I've said, usually happens anyways.
Anyway, in what manner do you think you're going to convince anyone, writing like that?
You aren't really giving information, you're just judging someone and telling them they are "wrong, bad breeder, owner ect.". Then saying they are "closed to information" (which isn't true) very bad communication with other people, IMO.

This is what I'm talking about though -
Someone posts innocently on something, and people jump on them about some other subject or detail of the post. Then, completely losing the original intent of the OP.

Quote:

So what genetic diseases run in YOUR family? Were your parents "responsible breeders"? Were they ethical? See how stupid that sounds?!?!? It sounds just as stupid when speaking about a canine. She has a good dog, she wants to breed it, so her friends can have some of the dogs offspring. The End! If you want all those "5000+" Dachsunds to find a home so bad...you better get busy adopting
tongue.png
I'm leary of dogs for adoption...gotta be SOME reason nobody else wants them! Oh, and one other fine point...if there are SO MANY dogs for adoption then EVERY SINGLE BREEDER IN THE UNITED STATES WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN "IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDER" according to you, for no other reason than... well there are dogs who could be adopted!!

P.S. You're rude!

Quote:

So what genetic diseases run in YOUR family? Were your parents "responsible breeders"? Were they ethical? See how stupid that sounds?!?!? It sounds just as stupid when speaking about a canine. She has a good dog, she wants to breed it, so her friends can have some of the dogs offspring. The End! If you want all those "5000+" Dachsunds to find a home so bad...you better get busy adopting
tongue.png
I'm leary of dogs for adoption...gotta be SOME reason nobody else wants them! Oh, and one other fine point...if there are SO MANY dogs for adoption then EVERY SINGLE BREEDER IN THE UNITED STATES WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN "IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDER" according to you, for no other reason than... well there are dogs who could be adopted!!

P.S. You're rude!

Sounds to me like you're the rude one. You're the one posting in caps (which means shouting). You're the one who said what she typed was stupid.

RabbitMage explained what responsible breeders do, so to say every breeder would be irresponsible according to her means you didn't even read what she wrote. There are so many pets on petfinder because there are too many people breeding for the heck of it. Once you volunteer and help rescue animals, you really see just how awful the situation is. When good dogs get put to sleep just because there aren't enough homes, it really makes you sad to see people continuing to breed for no real purpose. I mean, there are tons of people who have "nice dogs", but do we really need to make more? Really? When there are thousands of pets dying every day because there aren't enough people adopting them and there are too many people making them.

And I fail to see where people "jumped on" the OP. Many people offered words of advice, but I don't see where anyone attacked her.

She thought I was attacking her, but I cleared that up by saying I wasn't talking about her, I was talking about the woman she mentioned who was breeding dogs already. AND, you notice several people jumped on *me*, yet didn't apologize when I cleared up the confusion.

Quote:
Very well put!! Thank you!!
And you too Cindiloohoo! Thanks you!

Quote:
People are not dogs. That's a poor comparison to make. Would you like a good comparison?

My family breeds rabbits, and has for the last ten years. We have multi-generational pedigrees on each one. We show our rabbits to have their health and quality evaluated by judges. We don't just show at the county fair, but all up and down the state and at National shows-we've gone across the country a few times to show our rabbits. We plan our breedings carefully-we look at the strengths and weaknesses of the individual rabbit, we think about the things we need to improve in our herd, we look at the bloodlines of the rabbits involved to see if they're likely to cross well. Since we've been breeding for ten years, in most cases we personally know and in some cases still own the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents of the rabbits we're planning to breed-or we know the breeders who do or did own them, and can talk to them about any potential health problems in the line.

All this for something most people consider edible or a throwaway pet. If I'm doing more in planning my rabbit breedings than someone is doing in planning to breed their dog...

Of course this is not just my opinion. The Dachshund Club of America has an ethics standard it makes it's members uphold: http://www.dachshund-dca.org/ethics.html and will even give some basic guidelines on how to find a good breeder: http://www.dachshund-dca.org/responsiblebreed.html And they also promote rescue as an alternative right on their site: http://www.dachshund-dca.org/rescue.html

Actually
, every dog breed club I've ever looked into does at least this much. The AKC has a guide to finding a responsible breeder: http://www.akc.org/press_center/facts_stats.cfm?page=responsible_breeder And numerous websites have a plethora of information:
http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/tips/finding_good_dog_breeder.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/responbr.html
http://www.learntobreed.com/

Also to say " If you want all those "5000+" Dachsunds to find a home so bad...you better get busy adopting
tongue.png
I'm leary of dogs for adoption...gotta be SOME reason nobody else wants them!" is cruel, and false. I own two dogs, one came from the county shelter as a half-feral puppy, the other was being dumped on Craigslist because after four litters in five years she wasn't breedable anymore. I ended up with Marlowe because someone decided it was okay to let a bunch of dogs run loose on his property, and Ellie because she couldn't make money, er, puppies for her owners. My roommate got her dog-A Purebred Dachshund, by the way!-from a local rescue as a three month old puppy. He was a puppymill rescue. He's not the brightest bulb in the world, but he's a good, sweet dog. But there's only so much one person can do. We as individuals and as a society need to learn to be responsible.

Rescue dogs are not bad dogs. They are not broken. They are usually there through no fault of their own. Here's a commercial that's been floating around that might do you some good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v5Ui8HUuN8

(As
as aside I'm a he, I am not a good genetic specimen, and I don't plan forcing my genes on my future children.)

Last edited:
Well she is not the only person who cant or wont take a shelter dog. Around my neck of the woods the shelter requirements are insane and so overpriced its ridiculous to get a shelter dog verses a extremely well bred, registered puppy from a responsible breeder. I live on more then 100 acres, have no other dogs, am a stay at home mom with time to devote to training, but have children and my yard fence is between 4-6 foot. That totally drops me out of being able to adopt any dog from a local shelter. Besides the fact having to spend at least 500 for an adult shelter dog or much more for a puppy.

Secondly I have personally been attacked by adopted dogs with issues. Best friends family got a older puppy, I knew the dog for more then a year, showed up to give my friend a ride to cap in my uniform and nearly got killed. Apparently the dog was abused by the previous owner and had issue with all people in uniform. That was not the first or last time a shelter did or will adopt a dog out with issues, the shelter may not even know of the issues until someone nearly gets killed. My sisters shelter dog is violently dog aggressive and dislikes children, just whatever mix of breeds he is he is just unpleasant around kids despite tons of training. My parents purebred boxer is the dumbest goofiest most loving and submissive dog on the planet.

From personal experience while I have young children at home I will never have a shelter dog. all dogs carry risk and must be trained, all children should never be left unsupervised around any animal. However a dog with no history of abuse or problems, raised and trained from a puppy with a healthy family back ground is still safer then the surprise half grown puppy from the shelter. Call it selfish, and yes I hate shelters and all that goes on with them, but my kids safety comes first before rescuing a dog.

All of the shelter dogs we've ever adopted were wonderful, loving, safe family pets.
love.gif
We've rescued every single one of the dogs we've owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom