Dark BCM eggs, how do I know what to do with Candling results??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have 11 Black Copper Marans eggs and I don't know what to do with my candling information. It is day #7 and I have one that really looks to be unfertilized and a lot more where I can see a good air cell and some that I can seen veins but I most I do not see much more than a dark area. I have a really good light (110 lumens). My Barred Rocks all look great (cute veins and eye balls and obvious movements). Do I throw my suspected quitter away or just wait? What is the risk to the other eggs? How will I ever see Blood Rings? Given that the shell is so thick I am assuming the risk of egg explosion is less but I need guidance here????
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Ahhh, the problems with BCM eggs! I left all of my eggs in because it was too difficult to see and I was too scared to throw away a good egg. I figured that if I had a bad egg, the smell would give it away. They all hatched except one:) I say, let your nose guide you on those that you're not sure about.

3. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    What is the risk they will explode on me? I am hoping that the thick shell will hold them together. I have 19 eggs in the incubator. Is it easy to identify the rotten one? Seems like it would make them all smell awful.[​IMG]

4. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

My first time incubating was with BCM eggs, I ended up with 3 live chicks out of 10 eggs (they had been shipped) and even though I left all of them in the bator till I was really sure, the ones that didn't make it did not smell or explode. When I opened them, they were just sort of scrambled. I'd wait longer than 7 days for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by