Dark Blue Ameraucana or Easter Egger Hen? *Pic*

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
This is Julia ( used to be Jimmy before I found out "He" was a "She"
wink.png
). I have always been puzzled, is she a Ameraucana or Easter Egger Hen? She lays light green eggs. Also what color would you call her, Dark Blue? Thanks ~
47807_dsc_0038.jpg

47807_dsc_0039.jpg

47807_dsc_0051.jpg

Julia next to J.T. the chicken she was raised with.
47807_dsc_0062.jpg

Where did she come from? That will tell alot. If she came from a feed store (ie hatchery) she is an EE for sure. Light green egg likely means EE, though not necessarily. Some Ameraucana breeders struggle with egg color, though I don't think the blues have an issue with it...

She came from my own flock, I rescued a batch of eggs a broody was setting on and she hatched in the bator along with J.T.
Couldn't tell ya where she came from, didn't even have EE then?!?

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

She came from my own flock, I rescued a batch of eggs a broody was setting on and she hatched in the bator along with J.T.

So, what are her possible parents then?​

She looks a lot like my blue Olive Egger pullet which hatched from a cuckoo marans egg covered by an Ameraucana Roo. Mine doesn't have feathering on her legs but some of her black sisters do. My girl is actually darker than she looks in this picture due to the bright sun light.
P1120345-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

EE's are not their own breed - they are the 'mutts' of the chicken world. To make an EE, you cross a bird with a blue laying gene (even if they only lay brown eggs!) with anything else (leghorn, wyandotte, etc). Some people cross their blue layers to dark brown layers to make olive layers, but those are still technically EE's.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom