aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I was told this was a Dark Brahama...I don't really care if he's a mutt, but am curious. I believe he is molting and may have had his wings clipped. He also was beaten up real bad at one point at his old place by another rooster.

One thing, he is a great rooster! He's about a year old, no aggression at all, very mellow...and sings the egg cheer very loudly several times a day for the girls. He even got in on of the nests and gave a long speech about where to lay the first day they were here. They've only been at my place for a few days, 5 layers and 9 eggs in 3 days....one of them is molting.

I'm new to chicken ownership, but have done a lot of reading, research and chicken sitting, this is my first flock.

So what do you think??
Thanks!

He looks like a mix of a couple of different breeds. Very pretty boy, you're lucky to have a rooster that takes care of his girls right. Always think it is funny when they try and convince the girls that the nesting box they have picked is the right one. Those are really nice looking nesting boxes you have. It will take the girls a little while to settle in, and they may all decide to molt since it is that time of year. This is the Feathersite page for Brahmas... http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrahma.html

He looks like a mix of mixes, lol.

the color reminds me of a salmon Faverolle, but the color isn't 100%. Plus, they're bearded and this guy's clean faced. How many toes does he have? If five, it may be Faverolle that gave him those feathered legs. But overall, the color, that funky comb, just say he's a nice barnyard mix rooster. He's got a great temperament, and for us backyard folks that's the most important thing!

Thanks all. Will count his toes and post back.
I love my mixed up bunch of mutts! He did come from a hatchery.

I confirmed that his wings have been clipped, which is too bad because he could use them to lighten his landings off the roost, he's a heavy boy.

Last edited:
Are any hatcheries selling olive eggers? Makes me wonder if they have added marans to their EE flocks to get a wider range of egg colors.

He looks like a mix of mixes, lol.

the color reminds me of a salmon Faverolle, but the color isn't 100%. Plus, they're bearded and this guy's clean faced. How many toes does he have? If five, it may be Faverolle that gave him those feathered legs. But overall, the color, that funky comb, just say he's a nice barnyard mix rooster. He's got a great temperament, and for us backyard folks that's the most important thing!
Just 4 toes.

well that kinda rules out the Faverolle, I think. Well, he's beautiful and a good fit for you, that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom