Dark Chocolate Eggs

TamiHunter

Songster
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Saint Helens, Oregon
My DH wants a couple hens that will lay the dark brown eggs. Any suggestions on good breeds for that?
idunno.gif
Anyone suggest a breeder that is selling day olds or hatching eggs?

Thanks much!

Did some checking and I will be going with the Marans. I really want the Lavandar color. I don't think I will order from a hatchery. Plenty of good breeders here on the forum.

Request pics of the eggs along with the parents. Lavender is a newer color in Marans and it is possible the egg color was diluted significantly when introducing that gene from another breed.

Don't rule out Welsummers. I have both BCM's and Welsummers and their eggs are identical to my eye. There are many strains of both with lighter than desired eggs, but also the dark egg laying strains of both breeds. I find Welsummers to be slightly better layers and a lighter bird. I'm also very enamored with the patterning of the Welsummer hens. The roos are gorgeous too. Not that BCM's are not pretty, just if I had to choose, I'd keep the Welsummers.

For a good background and comparison, look up Whitmore Farm and read about both. My strains of both came from there and I'm very happy with them.

Request pics of the eggs along with the parents. Lavender is a newer color in Marans and it is possible the egg color was diluted significantly when introducing that gene from another breed.

Don't rule out Welsummers. I have both BCM's and Welsummers and their eggs are identical to my eye. There are many strains of both with lighter than desired eggs, but also the dark egg laying strains of both breeds. I find Welsummers to be slightly better layers and a lighter bird. I'm also very enamored with the patterning of the Welsummer hens. The roos are gorgeous too. Not that BCM's are not pretty, just if I had to choose, I'd keep the Welsummers.

For a good background and comparison, look up Whitmore Farm and read about both. My strains of both came from there and I'm very happy with them.

Thank you! I will certainly do my homework on the Lavender. I haven't ruled out the Welsummers. I may do a couple of both breeds. I don't want to have to choose, I like them both! :)

I just researched for some different chickens and their virtues and found Marans, a chicken that gives dark chocolate colored eggs, and I think I'll get one of those in the early spring to join my herd early summer. Have you found any more breeds?

I just researched for some different chickens and their virtues and found Marans, a chicken that gives dark chocolate colored eggs, and I think I'll get one of those in the early spring to join my herd early summer. Have you found any more breeds?

No, just the Marans and Welsummer's. Can't decide between them. They are both great birds. :) Maybe do 1 of each then I won't have to decide. lol

Back
Top Bottom