1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Chocolate Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TamiHunter, Jan 22, 2015.

1. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    My DH wants a couple hens that will lay the dark brown eggs. Any suggestions on good breeds for that? [​IMG] Anyone suggest a breeder that is selling day olds or hatching eggs?

Thanks much!

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Black Copper Marans. I'd look around here for someone selling quality ones because their eggs are going to be darker than the birds you get from a hatchery.

3. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Did some checking and I will be going with the Marans. I really want the Lavandar color. I don't think I will order from a hatchery. Plenty of good breeders here on the forum.

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Request pics of the eggs along with the parents. Lavender is a newer color in Marans and it is possible the egg color was diluted significantly when introducing that gene from another breed.

Don't rule out Welsummers. I have both BCM's and Welsummers and their eggs are identical to my eye. There are many strains of both with lighter than desired eggs, but also the dark egg laying strains of both breeds. I find Welsummers to be slightly better layers and a lighter bird. I'm also very enamored with the patterning of the Welsummer hens. The roos are gorgeous too. Not that BCM's are not pretty, just if I had to choose, I'd keep the Welsummers.

For a good background and comparison, look up Whitmore Farm and read about both. My strains of both came from there and I'm very happy with them.

5. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Thank you! I will certainly do my homework on the Lavender. I haven't ruled out the Welsummers. I may do a couple of both breeds. I don't want to have to choose, I like them both! :)

6. Always Learning

Always Learning Just Hatched

Dec 26, 2014
    I just researched for some different chickens and their virtues and found Marans, a chicken that gives dark chocolate colored eggs, and I think I'll get one of those in the early spring to join my herd early summer. Have you found any more breeds?

7. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    No, just the Marans and Welsummer's. Can't decide between them. They are both great birds. :) Maybe do 1 of each then I won't have to decide. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by