Dark comb (Normal for her) on laying pullet. What breed?

Audio51

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Paradise, California
I have a young black Cochin-type pullet that was hatched in 5/2013. She surprised me this morning by laying her first egg. I was surprised because, of all of my pullets, she is the one that looks the least ready to lay. She has always had a dark comb/wattles and they are pretty small right now. Below is a picture that was take a couple of months ago and one that was taken this morning.

AS you can see there is only the slightest pink to her. I know it was her that laid the egg because I caught her in the nest and the egg is banty sized. Hers is the one on the far left. The others are from my Red Sex-link and my Blue Wyandotte.

This shot is of some of the other pullets who clearly look more ready to lay than she does.

Does anyone have any idea what breed this banty could be? I have not been able to find any info on dark-combed breed...only as dark combs applies to illness.

Lokks like a cochin. I think she is a mutant- I think she is melanistic which just means she has extra black pigment.

Seems a lot of the black pullets have black colored combs. I'm not familiar enough with the genetics involved, but I've seen it on and off on this board enough over the years to know it's just one of those things.

Seems a lot of the black pullets have black colored combs. I'm not familiar enough with the genetics involved, but I've seen it on and off on this board enough over the years to know it's just one of those things.

I have tried searchi9ng for breeds with dark combs and come up blank. I hadn't thought about silkie cross as Sourland suggested, but I don't realy see any eveidence of that. The person I got the eggs from does not keep silkies that I know of. I suppose there could be some in the background of her birds.

Hmm...well thanks for the feedback. I will try to reach the person I got the eggs from and see if it could be from a silkie. Anyone with any other suggestions, they are welcome to share them!
idunno.gif

Last edited:
It could be that she has some in her. I haven't been able to reach the person I got the eggs from.

Are they the only breed that tends to have dark combs?

Back
Top Bottom