Dark Cornish comming... Have feed question...

beebiz

Songster
12 Years
Jul 2, 2007
W. Tennessee
I finally ordered 25 of the Dark Cornish cockerals this morning from Ideal Hatchery! I wanted them to cross with my own hens to come up with my own Cornish Cross. Since Ideal won't sell any more cockerals than the number of pullets they have sold, I have to wait for the Oct. 10 hatch. That's alright, because I should have them Oct. 12. I can't wait!!

I don't know if this belongs here or if it belongs in "Feeding Time," but since it is about meat birds, I'm placing it here.

I've searched high and low and can find no 21%, non-medicated feeds locally. Not even in a game bird grower/finisher. The closest thing that I can find is a 20% game bird grower/finisher that is non-medicated and comes in crumbles form. It is available at my local Farmers Co-Op for $10.42 per 50 pounds.

But, I have a couple of questions. First, should I expect a compatable growth rate from the Dark Cornish by using the 20% game bird grower/finisher instead of a 21%? Second, since this feed is only available in crumbles form, should I grind it a bit finer for the day old chicks until they get a bit larger?

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions that you have.

Did I mention that I can't wait to get my chicks?!?!?
smile.png

Robert

I don't think the percent will make that big of a difference. They still won't grow like cornish x's but they should still be broad breasted. As for crubles, I have never used mash, chicks can eat the crumbes just fine. Even my day old silkies can eat the crumbles! Good luck!

Dark Cornish arent cornish crosses.. do they need something other than just starter and grower?? They wont have legs problems or flip like the crosses since they are slow growing.. I have 2 Dark Cornish hens and they always had starter and grower and now eat layers..just like the other birds.. they are alot heavier than the rest of my hens.. I will be interested in the answer...

It depends if you are raising them for meat or layers! Since he's got cockrels, I assume he's going the meat route. Therefore handle them just like any other meat bird. Use a broiler starter/finisher from start to finish. Anything over 19% protein works. Don't sweat a percentage or two either way. Giving them scraps to be certain their diet is well rounded is better than comparing %'s on labeled bags of food.

Quote:
FluffyChickenMama, that's why I wanted the Dark Cornish. I wanted a Cornish that wouldn't be prone to so many health problems. And, I wanted some of them to eat, ergo the desire for non-medicated, high protein feed. And, although I wanted a few of them to eat, I wanted some of them to grow off to adulthood and cross them with another breed of hens that I now have. The hens that I have now are a large, dual purpose breed. The Dark Cornish are a heavy meat. My hopes are that when I cross the two, I will get an even better meat chicken..... my own "Cornish Cross!"

Quote:
You are exactly right, greyfields. I am going the meat route that we discussed in another post. I'm going after the "Jumbo Beebiz Cornish Meat Bird," as you labeled them!!
big_smile.png
I didn't think that the 1% or so would make that much difference, but just wanted to make sure. I will definately suppliment with table scraps and such. That's what I do for all of my chickens.

BTW, I'll probably follow your "6 lb." advise too!

Thanks for the input and advice, guys.

Robert

Hi beebiz/greyfields,

I looked on the other cornish X post and couldn't find the "6 lbs" advice. Do you mind if I ask what it is?

I have 27 Welps Cornish Xs Roosters that'll be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I'm curious what the 6 lbs thing is.

Thanks! Nancy

Good morning Nancy!! Remember that at this point in the conversation greyfields and I were NOT talking about the Cornish X! Or, at least not the "typical" Cornish X that is available from most of the hatcheries. I am going to make my own Cornish X. At this point in the conversation, we are discussing the Dark Cornish cockerals.

Additionally, I accidentally misquoted greyfields. He recommended that I grow them to 3 pounds and not the 6 pounds that I stated. His recommendation is on the second page, and it was the last post that he made. Here is a copy of it:

Quote:
For some reason or another, my single, partially functional brain cell had it that greyfields had recommended 6 pounds. But, he actually recommended 3 pounds and eat them as "cornish hens."

I will be keeping 3 or 4 of them for breeding purposes. And some of them will be eaten around the 3 pound live weight. But, my wife wants me to wait and try some of them around the 5 to 6 pound weight.

I hope that cleared everything up..... at least as clear as mud!!
big_smile.png

Oh, and sorry about the misquote, greyfields!!
roll.png

Robert

Can you post some pics beebiz as they grow? It would be interesting to see the dark cornish as peeps. I plan on doing something similar. My plan is to eventually try dark cornish x dorking. I'll be ordering some breeding stock next spring.

Unless something happens, I will be more than happy to post pics as they grow, pawtraitart. I will even be glad to post some pics as the cross grows, if I can.

The cross that I am going to make is a Dark Cornish male over a Buff Orpington hen. This year I learned first hand that the Buffs have huge leg and thigh quarters. Their breasts are not bad, but could stand improvement. It is my understanding that the Dark Cornish are know for their long, deep breast. It is my hope that when I cross the two, I will get a meat chicken that has large breasts and large leg and thigh quarters. That way, my wife (breast lover of the family) and I (much the leg and thigh man) will be very pleased when we sit down to a meal of our own yard bird!!

You said that you would be ordering breeding stock next spring. That was my original intention. However, that darned greyfields got me pumped about getting started with them. Then he told me about Ideal having the Dark Cornish in stock and being reasonably priced. I checked them out.... and now.... they should arive 10/12!!!!

That reminds me..... greyfields should charge Ideal a commission for my order!!

I'd like to see how your cross goes too, pawtraitart.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom