Dark Egg Breeds Thread

ep.gif
The top hen is gorgeous!!

Nice egg color--I'm always curious about egg sizes--medium?

Pretty blue girl --who is she?

Large? Well that brings hope that my girls will step up in size after their fall molt. I often get a small egg, very dark but nicely shaped; and a few of the girls are laying a bit larger now than they were in the late winter. THey are about 13 months old now. So I clearly should expect them to increase their egg size!

THe blue OE is very pretty--did I already say that? LOL I'll say it again. SHe's pretty.

Here's some pics of my project blue barnevelders. These are 4th generation blues and hopefully I'll have some 5th generation chicks by this fall.

I like the type better on this cockerel. He still has good color too. (he's moulting his primaries so his wings are looking rough)

Egg color still varies ( I expected that) but most of the pullets are laying medium brown eggs (about average compared to pure Barnevelders). I am anxiously waiting on a few other blue pullets to start laying as they hatched from some of the darkest eggs in my flock. Eggs like these and some darker.

This blue cockerel (while not perfect type) has excellent, very dark blue color and hatched from one of the darkest eggs I've gotten.

Here's a pic of the dark blue cockerel (when he was a bit younger) and an older pullet.

Thanks Kansaseq and Braclin:) I've been really happy with how they look so far, but still working to improve them. For now I see traits I like in each bird and in the future I'd like more uniformity to the flock. Maybe someday in the next several years I'll finally reach my goals and it has been a fun project to keep me busy:)

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the splash chicks will look from the project at this point.
The double laced pattern in "red and white" color should be interesting!

Here's some pics of my project blue barnevelders. These are 4th generation blues and hopefully I'll have some 5th generation chicks by this fall.

I like the type better on this cockerel. He still has good color too. (he's moulting his primaries so his wings are looking rough)

Egg color still varies ( I expected that) but most of the pullets are laying medium brown eggs (about average compared to pure Barnevelders). I am anxiously waiting on a few other blue pullets to start laying as they hatched from some of the darkest eggs in my flock. Eggs like these and some darker.

Lovely coloring in the hen--blue and red lacing, very very pretty.

THe eggs have a pink cast. Is it just the picture or is the coloring a little different than the marans brown? I actually thought these eggs look somewhat uniform. THey look lovely to me.

Back
Top Bottom