Dark egg yolks?

iam4hymn

Chirping
Jun 21, 2015
Georgia
My chickens breeds range from Buffs to Easter Eggers to Black Copper Marans. My egg yolks are not as dark and rich looking as I would like, though they still taste fantastic. The girls are fed a very good balanced diet, free range in a very large yard area and are fed occasional scratch and kitchen scraps. I would love to improve the look of my egg yolks to a nice golden yellow to orange. Does the breed of chicken have to do with this or diet only? what can I do to improve the yolk color? Thanks!

My chickens breeds range from Buffs to Easter Eggers to Black Copper Marans. My egg yolks are not as dark and rich looking as I would like, though they still taste fantastic. The girls are fed a very good balanced diet, free range in a very large yard area and are fed occasional scratch and kitchen scraps. I would love to improve the look of my egg yolks to a nice golden yellow to orange. Does the breed of chicken have to do with this or diet only? what can I do to improve the yolk color? Thanks!
Diet mostly. Start by feeding fish meal. That should help but it could result in fishy eggs also feed a few fresh marigold flowers each day which should darken up the egg yokes considerably.

Back
Top Bottom