Dark green poop and sleeping all the time

Meranaldar

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
My little Polish hen has been sleeping all the time, just wherever she is. Sometimes standing up, sometimes laying down. She also has a bit of diarrhea and greenish poop (though not a bright green like I've seen some posts here talk about). Some poops are well-formed, some are a bit wet. She's still laying eggs ok.

I first noticed her sleeping all the time on Saturday, and the diarrhea a little earlier.

I had some Oxymav B antibiotic powder on hand, so I gave her some yesterday and today. I don't know if that will help, or how long before I could expect to see signs of improvement if it does.

I'm worried, I really don't want to lose her.

She's about 8 months old.
I should have taken a photo of the poop. I'll take one when I get home from work.

I did take this photo yesterday. She always wants to be around me, and I was doing work at an outdoor workbench, so she was sleeping beside my feet.
She's sort of sleeping on her side a bit here, but more often is sleeping on her feet.

I should also mention, her wattles seem a nice red color, not pale.

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 14
I'll check. I had a quick feel mid-morning yesterday and didn't see anything that seemed unusual to me.

She's by far the smallest, but never gets picked on, at all. She's 3rd out of 4 in the pecking order, but is very assertive and seems to be treated a bit like the spoiled little sister who can do whatever she wants, though she does give way to the higher 2 on her own.

She now has one eye shut and looks swollen.
Also did a fresh poop while I was taking photos.
She seems more active right now, though not sure if that's because I just got home.

A693C707-64FD-4CDF-9A57-E938737BEF4E.jpeg
5C2A25A3-D22C-4E5D-B6C4-9E8A5373A607.jpeg
4CA58DFF-4A7D-4E74-80D7-959550E29583.jpeg

Another update. I managed to get to see a vet tonight (I got lucky and his last appointment of the day had been cancelled). The eye got most of the focus, he gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and some antibiotic eye drops.
He said to continue with the Oxymav B and to see how she was in a couple of days.

Now I just need to manage to give her the eye drops for a few days, unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me. This should be interesting.

Another update. I managed to get to see a vet tonight (I got lucky and his last appointment of the day had been cancelled). The eye got most of the focus, he gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and some antibiotic eye drops.
He said to continue with the Oxymav B and to see how she was in a couple of days.

Now I just need to manage to give her the eye drops for a few days, unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me. This should be interesting.
I would wrap her in a towel to keep her wings from flapping plus its comforting. I always sit down and chat with mine when administering treatment.
The poo doesn't look super concerning. A little runny, but that might be due to her eye issue. Maybe that's why she''s been "sleeping" so much.

Last edited:
Well, her crop was empty this morning, micstrachan.

As for the drops, I didn't have a great deal of success this morning. I couldn't get her eye open properly. I read about using a warm damp cloth, and I got some gunk cleaned out around the eyelid opening that way, but only managed to partially open the eye, I think maybe the inner nictitating membrane was still closed. I'm not sure how effective the drops are like that.

Using a little saline eye wash to flush the eye, it may open more easily. A warm wet compress held over the eye for a few minutes would help too. It takes a little practice holding a hen under your arm, and taking one hand to open the eye with a thumb and finger. It would help a lot if you could get another helper though. QTips may help get any gunk out. If it seems swollen, sometimes you can press a bit on the eyelids to express pus. She might have been pecked in the eye, or got something in it that caused an infection, but a respiratory disease such as MG could also be possible. Here is a video of that:

Back
Top Bottom