Dark green poop and sleeping all the time

Another update.
She seems to be a bit more alert, though still resting a lot, and I'm not getting any more green poop, however the eye doesn't seem to be improving. I'm going back to the vet tomorrow morning.

I've been using an eye wash and managing with the eye drops ok.

She hasn't been laying eggs as much, every second day, and the shell of the last one was very thin (translucent on the bottom half). I guess that could just be from the stress and generally not feeling well?

Is she separated? The thin egg shells can definitely be caused by stress. I would give her some crushed egg shell and oyster shell on the side. Maybe even a little yogurt with some of the oyster and egg shell sprinkled on.
Let us know what the vet says.

She's not currently separated.
They have free access to shell grit at all times.

How come you recommend both eggshell and oyster shell together? I don't recall hearing that before.
The only time I've used eggshells was when I ran out of the shell grit and was waiting on a delivery.

She's not currently separated.
They have free access to shell grit at all times.

How come you recommend both eggshell and oyster shell together? I don't recall hearing that before.
The only time I've used eggshells was when I ran out of the shell grit and was waiting on a delivery.
Sometimes the hens will eat egg shell over oyster shell, but it's best to still offer both. If however you only offer 1, oyster shell is recommended. Egg shell doesn't have the calcium level as oyster - oyster has a fast release of the calcium and egg shells do not. Many people offer both. When my hens have a shell issue, I also add citracal crushed up and offer that as well. It's a calcium supplement with vitamin d3. The vitamin d3 helps with calcium absorption.

Just got back from the vet, and not good news. He said the eye had prolapsed, and she'll probably lose it.
It was unfortunately a bit of a rushed visit since he was very busy and he was just fitting me in between other bookings. He didn't have any appointments available until next Wednesday, and I couldn't wait that long. I'm a bit uncertain about what to do now. My father (a human optometrist) said to continue with the antibiotic eye drops.

Just got back from the vet, and not good news. He said the eye had prolapsed, and she'll probably lose it.
It was unfortunately a bit of a rushed visit since he was very busy and he was just fitting me in between other bookings. He didn't have any appointments available until next Wednesday, and I couldn't wait that long. I'm a bit uncertain about what to do now. My father (a human optometrist) said to continue with the antibiotic eye drops.
Does he know what caused it?

Not really. He just said it was probably an injury, that something may have punctured it.
I would continue with the eye ointment, it won't hurt. I would also make sure she's not having trouble eating or drinking. By separating her you can monitor her better. It would only be temporary until you're sure she's able to take care of herself.

Thought I'd post an update about how things turned out.

My father thought it could possibly be Pseudomonas aeruginosa and suggested I try a different antibiotic that would work for gram-negative bacteria, together with some steroid drops. Keep in mind he's not a vet or familiar with chickens and was only looking at photos and videos I sent, but it was worth trying. The swelling did go down afterwards, possibly from the steroid drops.

Whatever the case was, it started looking very ugly for a bit that which worried me, but it seems that was just scabbing or something, and now everything has settled down it just looks cloudy. She doesn't seem to be able to see out of it, but she's doing fine. Acting like her old self.

The others do put her in her place more than they used to, though not excessively so. Otherwise, things seem pretty much as they were before. I just have to make sure treats and such are on her left.

Back
Top Bottom