Dark phase silver appleyard ducklings? Or rouens?

EllieandOlive

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
This is slightly confusing, lots of questions mixed in, but here goes! I ordered 3 silver appleyards from Metzer farms. One was a pre sexed female, and two were supposed to be straight runs. I also had two 'surprise mixed sex ducklings' in this order, so they don't come labeled.

The female (labeled) appleyard died the day they arrived...she was the only one that looked like an appleyard. I am getting her replaced...

So, I have these 3 unlabeled ducklings (out of 4 SR, the 4th is an obvious breed). Two should be SR appleyards and the third could be anything as it was a mixed surprise. To me, they all look like rouens/mallards.

I contacted the company for clarification on what type the mixed ducklings were and how to tell them apart from the appleyards as I wasn't familiar with this coloring of appleyards. They asked the owner of Metzer and he is sure these are silver appleyards that are a part of the 10% of the darker coloring that look like rouens.

Sooooo, if two of these are indeed dark phase appleyards, and the other is an unknown duckling, which 2 are appleyards and which 1 is a mallard/rouen/third surprise dark phase appleyard?

Did they give me a third dark phase or a rouen/mallard? Also, what does a dark phase appleyard look like as an adult? Apparently they account for 10% of offspring but I can't find any pictures anywhere! Will they breed mostly dark phase, or 90% light phase 10% dark like the standard appleyard?
And another thing, why, if they only count for 10%, did I get potentially 3 for 3 dark phases? Poor luck?

Attachments

• 0310210807a.jpg
    0310210807a.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 0310210806e.jpg
    0310210806e.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 0310210806d.jpg
    0310210806d.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 92
After looking more at the third ducking picture (lighter leg color) and researching the difference between rouens and mallards, if said rouens have 2 eye stripes while mallards have I've, so assuming the lighter legged one is not a silver apple yard rare/dark phase, I'd assume mallard.

Does anyone agree/disagree?

Back
Top Bottom