Dark runny poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adshoemake, Apr 24, 2013.

1. adshoemake

adshoemake In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    I know there are all different forms of chicken poop and watery is normal sometimes but I have some that have some really dark runny stool. I didn't see any blood in it but it's soooo dark brown that at first glance it looks black. Could it be coccidia or just them having dark stool? they are about 2 1/2 months old!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Here's a link to the poop chart to help you determine if the poop you're seeing is normal or abnormal:
    http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Enchanted1s likes this.
  3. adshoemake

Apr 21, 2013
    thanks. Sometimes their poop does look like some of those but sometimes its pretty dark....like dark chocolate but I haven't seen any redness to it so I am just going to watch them. They feel fine otherwise and are eating like crazy!

4. yo burrill

yo burrill Chirping

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    The blood doesnt always stay bright red in stool. Blood gets its red color from the iron in it. Acid in the poop causes the Iron to oxidize turning brown/black in the poop. Coccidosis causes foamy poop so probably not that. If they are still bright and alert they are probably fine. If they have access to grass and bugs their poo will change alot from day to day depending what they are eating.

5. adshoemake

Apr 21, 2013
    thanks and yes the are outside most of the day so they eat lots of grass

6. Faith Chick

Faith Chick In the Brooder

May 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    I just noticed the same thing with my 2 month old chicks too. I was getting worried.
    I put them out on grass a couple weeks ago and they are eating alot of june bugs.
    Glad its not abnormal.

7. Lorilyno

Lorilyno Hatching

Oct 11, 2014
    Does it hurt to treat chickens for coccidiosis just in case??? One of my 7 week old chicks is having dark runny droppings. They all look fine, but I am worried about them.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Go ahead and treat them with corid, it wont hurt them.

9. Lorilyno

Lorilyno Hatching

Oct 11, 2014
    Thanks!

10. MrsDolph

MrsDolph In the Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Northeast Georgia
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: