Dark runny poo

adshoemake

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
I know there are all different forms of chicken poop and watery is normal sometimes but I have some that have some really dark runny stool. I didn't see any blood in it but it's soooo dark brown that at first glance it looks black. Could it be coccidia or just them having dark stool? they are about 2 1/2 months old!

I know there are all different forms of chicken poop and watery is normal sometimes but I have some that have some really dark runny stool. I didn't see any blood in it but it's soooo dark brown that at first glance it looks black. Could it be coccidia or just them having dark stool? they are about 2 1/2 months old!
Here's a link to the poop chart to help you determine if the poop you're seeing is normal or abnormal:
http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

thanks. Sometimes their poop does look like some of those but sometimes its pretty dark....like dark chocolate but I haven't seen any redness to it so I am just going to watch them. They feel fine otherwise and are eating like crazy!

The blood doesnt always stay bright red in stool. Blood gets its red color from the iron in it. Acid in the poop causes the Iron to oxidize turning brown/black in the poop. Coccidosis causes foamy poop so probably not that. If they are still bright and alert they are probably fine. If they have access to grass and bugs their poo will change alot from day to day depending what they are eating.

I just noticed the same thing with my 2 month old chicks too. I was getting worried.
I put them out on grass a couple weeks ago and they are eating alot of june bugs.
Glad its not abnormal.

Does it hurt to treat chickens for coccidiosis just in case??? One of my 7 week old chicks is having dark runny droppings. They all look fine, but I am worried about them.

Back
Top Bottom