Darn it, Lily!

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Love Comes with Feathers
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
California
Well, Midge's chicks were rehomed last week and Midge moved back into the big coop. Everything was right broody-wise.

Until today.

I opened the door to the coop to check on any hens or pullets who were laying eggs. Midge (Cochin Bantam) was sitting in one box, Lily (Gold Sex Link) was sitting on the ground. Somebody laid an egg on the ground and Lily was sitting on it. That wasn't unusual, sometimes they will lay their eggs in the corner vs their boxes, but then Lily GROWLED and me! Yes, growled! Lily never growls. She will squawk if you disturb her laying her egg, but nothing else. She protested greatly as I put her in a box.

Later I came out to check on them. Lily hadn't moved. She growled and said, 'took took took', just like Midge had when she was brooding.

Uh oh.

Waited 2 more hours. Then went again.

"Brraawl. Took took took"

Yep. She's broody.
th.gif
Darn it, Lily! I would never expect you to brood!
barnie.gif

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

A gold sex-link being broody? I thought they were suppose to be egg laying machines not incubators!

I know! It's so weird- she's bred not to brood, yet she was setting all morning and only got off when I picked her up and put her in another place. Last time I checked she was dustbathing, but "took-took-took"ing​

I can't wait to get chickens now, watching them raise their babies would be nice

Funny how she's cooping up on the ground though, I have no nest boxes yet, I thought they would be ok to make a nest somewhere, or don't chickens work that way?

Those stinkin broodies drive me crazy! I don't mind the growling, but I have a silkie who is just vicious! She has drawn blood already! Broodies are great if you want to hatch eggs, but darn if they don't mess things up when thheres no eggs to hatch! They totally bogart all the nest space so no other girls can pay the rent!

Quote:
I know! I have 4 hens, 3 pullets, and 2 boxes (used to have 3 but took out Midge's favorite to discourage her from further brooding). And Quinn needed to lay today, but Midge was in one box laying a nice brown egg and Lily was brooding. So I had to get some hay and make a makeshift nest for Quinn.

My chickens don't peck, but they can be pretty darn scary when they want to be!

Quote:
They will lay on the ground, but they will often change their nest spots so you don't find their eggs for a while and you don't know how fresh they are. Nest boxes are the best bet- but put blown out or fake eggs in the boxes to show them that's where they're supposed to lay.

And another tip, while we're on the subject. You'll probably encounter egg eating. if this happens, blow out and egg and refill it with mustard. Then feed it to the chickens. They'll shake their heads and give odd looks at the taste, but it usually teaches them that eggs are NOT for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom