Darn it, Lily!

Gritty, does this mean that you are ready for more broodies??
roll.png

My Silkie just stopped clinging to her chicks...and she's on the nest again. So is my Silkie OEGB X....the fun never stops!
The Silkie OEGB X looks really scary when you put your hand by the box. She makes the horrible squawking sound and all of her feathers poof waaay up. She sounds like a velociraptor.
Doesn't matter how many times I take that girl out of the box and put her outside...first she lays on the ground all poofed up as she was in the box...she stays that way for 10 minutes or so then she starts slinking around complaining the entire time. Runs outside, attacks a few birds, gets some water and she's right back to it!
The broodies will not be stopped!

Quote:
No dear, please NO.
It's so hot, I wish the hens would stop laying altogether. When I'm ready for some more polish I'll let you know
wink.png

Quote:
I knew you were involved here. I am leaving town for a few days, please go easy on DH. He's not used to snapping turtles in a nest box.

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

Beginning of the summery season...it's freaking adorable.
This late in the year and after fighting it allllll season....not so cute. Get to the point where you start tossing em out of there! I threatened Phoebe...I told her I would cut the bottoms out of the boxes. She gave me a nasty face...but she gives me a nasty face if I tell her she's a pretty girl right now. Crab apple.

Quote:
They will lay on the ground, but they will often change their nest spots so you don't find their eggs for a while and you don't know how fresh they are. Nest boxes are the best bet- but put blown out or fake eggs in the boxes to show them that's where they're supposed to lay.

And another tip, while we're on the subject. You'll probably encounter egg eating. if this happens, blow out and egg and refill it with mustard. Then feed it to the chickens. They'll shake their heads and give odd looks at the taste, but it usually teaches them that eggs are NOT for them to eat.

Thank you for the advice Lily
My garden is not very big at all but I suppose I could get together a few old boxes to put into my shed for them to use
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

Why do they eat eggs? Is it something to do with nutrition?

Quote:
Ha! My silkies will get kicked out of the nest and squalk bloody murder, all while they stop to takke a drink or a bite to eat, then they go right one screaming their heads off about the injustice of it all.

Quote:
They will lay on the ground, but they will often change their nest spots so you don't find their eggs for a while and you don't know how fresh they are. Nest boxes are the best bet- but put blown out or fake eggs in the boxes to show them that's where they're supposed to lay.

And another tip, while we're on the subject. You'll probably encounter egg eating. if this happens, blow out and egg and refill it with mustard. Then feed it to the chickens. They'll shake their heads and give odd looks at the taste, but it usually teaches them that eggs are NOT for them to eat.

Thank you for the advice Lily
My garden is not very big at all but I suppose I could get together a few old boxes to put into my shed for them to use
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

Why do they eat eggs? Is it something to do with nutrition?

Why do people eat eggs? Because they taste good, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom