Database Problem - Resolved - Some Messages Lost

Discussion in 'Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Nifty-Chicken, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

Hey Everybody,

Really sorry that we were down for a while. The PM Messages table became corrupt in the database and we've been working hard for the past while to try to fix the table.

Unfortunately the PM Messages table was corrupted so bad that we couldn't repair it, so we were forced to revert to our most recent backup which was from very early this morning.

We are VERY VERY sorry that any messages sent and received since the time of the backup were lost. [​IMG]

The good news is that our backup system works GREAT and saves us from any really major catastrophes.

Thanks for your patience as we worked through the problems.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

BYC's facebook page sure blew up. And everyone blamed me. Thanks for straightening that out. [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] Thank you Nifty and everyone else who worked so hard to get BYC back online. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Thanks Nifty and everyone for fixing it! [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thank you for your hard work [​IMG]

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    no wonder i was getting error messages, i was about to [​IMG] my computer thinking that was the problem

7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Yippee! I was going nuts without you. Your fb page came alive though!

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

I'm just glad I was able to get it fixed without having to pull in people with a higher pay scale. [​IMG] [​IMG]

It was really tricky because I had to choose between getting the forum back online ASAP or keep trying to fix the broken Messages table. After a while of failed attempts with the messages table I decided to just bite the bullet and restore from this morning. A total bummer to loose the PMs from the first part of the day, but I think the lessor of two evils (the other being the forum being down for much longer).

Again, it sure is great to know that our backup system works so well! The database for BYC is super monstrously huge (imagine indexing 5 million posts, all the messages, and a ton of other data). It is a bear to work with, and we've got a lot invested into keeping it up and running, but it sure helps me to sleep well at night knowing that the "worst case scenario" is almost always less than 1 day's worth of data being lost.

For our techy visitors, here is how I do backups for BYC's database: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/daily-mysql-database-backup.php

9. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    My Standard Poodle was really PO'd . . . I took the time to work on her haircut!

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:You lost me at imagine [​IMG]

Thank you again for knowing what you are doing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: