Dates of Your Peafowl Keeping

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Mar 17, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Do you ever look back and see when you first got peafowl, or something like that? It seems every year so far I look back at when I got peafowl. I know that most people have had peafowl a lot longer than I have, in fact most of you make it seem like I have owned peafowl for just a week lol.
    I can't believe I got my first peafowl back in 2009! It was October 11th to be exact and they were from the zoo.
    [​IMG]
    November 16th: I released my first peafowl. Hmm I probably should have waited longer...
    [​IMG]
    Lets see... Somewhere around December 09 the peacock, Fire, ran away leaving me with just a peahen.
    January 18th: We found a great peafowl breeder in Alabama. We call him "The Bird Man".
    January 19th: We went back to the bird man and bought a yearling peahen (by this time we had the other peahen in a pen and put the yearling peahen in there too).
    [​IMG]
    January 21: We made the little peafowl pen a bit bigger.
    [​IMG]
    February 20: We started making the big peafowl pen we have now. We got the netting up that day.
    March 6: We finished the pen.
    [​IMG]
    April 23: By now I have all the peafowl I do know, and I saw Dragon mate with Ice.
    May 8: I predicted that there should be an egg in the pen any day know.
    May 9: I find an egg the day after my prediction from Ice. Pretty good huh?
    [​IMG]
    May 15: I get a second egg from Ice.
    [​IMG]
    May 17: Third egg
    May 23: sixth egg
    Today: I pet Dragon's wing while he was eating, hand fed the peafowl some peanuts, checked for any eggs just in case, made sure the fake eggs were still in the nest boxes, and watched the birds drink a lot of water then lie around in the shade.

So what about everyone else? When did you first get peafowl? When did you get your first egg? It would be fun to see a time line if you have the dates or just years. I just have all these specific dates because I wrote it in my school agenda...[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It is going on 6 or 7 years for peafowl here. The India Blues were first, followed by the Spaulding and last but not least the Whites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve

3. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow I wish I could say I have had peafowl that long. Your spaldings look so pretty, almost just like a green! I always love that first picture of the peahen on that perch it is a good picture.[​IMG]

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I so love the whites. I sure hope my girls hatch out a white for me someday.

5. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    I keep a peafowl journal. In the journal, I log dates of worming, first and final eggs, when the males were separated, a few of my favorite photos, any health issues, where the girls prefer to nest, and any little trivia that might become interesting. Favorite treats, etc. A couple of years ago, I found some incredibly beautiful journals with peacock covers at Barnes & Noble. (They still have pea-cover journals, but the current selection isn't as pretty as the ones I found.) When pea-keeping gets monotonous during the winter, it's fun to flip thru my journals and take a trip down memory lane.

As an example, I'll make an entry later today. Yesterday Moonshine, our White, was getting testy with our 20-yr-old IB male, Big Bird. I decided to separate the boys into their summer pens and pair them up with different females. The boys had been quiet until I separated them. Now they are squawking and honking every now and then, so I had to hang the sight blinds this morning. This is very interesting to me because Moonshine is now 4 years old and has always been the "wallflower" of the flock. He's always submitted to any other bird, so it was interesting to see him challenge Big Bird.

And, if you need a quick reference of when you wormed, dosed antibiotics, or added vitamins and electrolytes to the water, it's all in the journal. With cool photos!

6. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow I really like the sound of your journal! I like how you add pictures too that is really neat! I will have to make sure I log more stuff with the peafowl, I have been slacking off so far this year.[​IMG]

7. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    [​IMG]
    Aren't these gorgeous? My favorite is the one in the center.

8. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow those are great! I like the one on the left.

9. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I dont have any YET! I hope to get some soon....I just need the time and funds to build the huge run...LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by