Daughters sick chook! Please help!

JLutey

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
My daughter has 5 chickens and this morning we noticed one that was still trying to lay from the day before and thought perhaps it was egg bound. We have had an egg bound chicken before and treated it by sitting it in a bucket of warm soapy water and it worked. By this afternoon when my daughter came home from school to check on it she found an egg was still half in the chook but it had broken. We immediately got the bucket ready and the remainder of the egg came out of the chook and she had a lot a faeces come out also, we did notice that she was also vomiting and it turns out that too is faeces. I don't know what to do and don't have a lot of money but my daughter loves this chook. Is putting it to sleep the best option? We have it in a warm box in a quiet room but not sure what else to do. My 10year old has had this chook and raised it from birth we just want to do what's right so it's not suffering. Please help us

I've never delt with egg binding, - but I know you need to be sure all the broken pieces came out as well. I would keep her quiet, offer food and water and watch for a day or so.

Sorry I can't offer more ....
sad.png

Well, I don't know. Looks like the egg was blocking her stools, and they backed up -all the way up. I would just watch her, and let her eat and drink. There doesn't seem to much you can do. People vomit up intestinal fluids, too.

Back
Top Bottom