Day 10: 1/7 Appears Viable

Olivess

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2017
I'm at day 10 of incubating. And after candling only one egg appears to have a viable embryo. It's got veins and visible movement. The remaining eggs are a combination of what appears to be just yolks, air sacs, or 50% cloudy or scrambled looking for lack of better word.

Assuming that this lone egg continues to stay alive, I assume that one chick is going to be terribly lonely. Has anyone raised a lone chick? Or would it better for the chick if I find a friend that's hatching--and with a better viability rate--to adopt?

It’s good to have a friend for a baby chick otherwise they will whine and rely on you only to be their friend, When it’s about a day old you should probably get it a little friend from a store. Reason why you would wanna wait until it’s a day old is so it’s strong and it can defend it self if the other one tries picking on it

That was my initial thought as well. But all the local sellers here are back-ordered well into May.

Good news, I'm terrible at candling. Two unexpected hatchlings. Still waiting on the one egg with the confirmed chick inside. Though in my defense the two surprise chicks came from olive-colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom