Day 10 Candling Dark Eggs 1st Timer!

Haazegirl

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
Southern Minnesota
I'm so worried! I just candled all the eggs it is day 10, my room was totally dark and I used the same high powered flashlight as when I set them. I pulled out 5 or 6 clear/unfertilized eggs which was easy enough to tell. I saw some air sacks, but was worried about all the grey-ness! I don't smell anything awful, and they are all grey! I don't see any veining at all. They are very dark eggs, ameraucana, cuckoo maran, and some other browns. They are my own eggs picked from the girls. The only thing I can smell is the motor from the turner and the plasticy newness of the incubator.

We didn't get enough birds in the freezer this year due to a raccoon mother who decided to ditch the nocturnal habit to feed her kids. So I thought I'd give this a try. A friend has a horror story about the eggs blowing up in the winter with subsequent cleaning and airing out the house. I'm so scared! I've read other similar posts, and will make a more powerful candler. From the other posts it sounds as if most of them might be ok. Any advice?

I am doing my first hatching. I am on day 2 . . .. so, I'll be watching this thread for tips. Thanks for starting the thread - hopefully more will join in. I have light and dark eggs to candle soon !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom