Day 12 - Broody off eggs. What to do????

heath_elisha

Songster
8 Years
Oct 19, 2011
Massachusetts
We decided to move one of our broody hens last night in with the other broody hen. We divided up the chicken tractor box into two boxes- they could not see each other unless one went out of the box into the pen area. Well this morning, the hen we moved went out but did not go back to her eggs. This is her first time being broody....... Not sure if she thought she couldn't get back in, or if she just was scared of the other hen (can't say I blame her!) But regardless- when I went out to do chores, she was off the eggs. They were cold. Not ice cold, but cold to the touch. Sunrise is at 5:30am- I found them at 7am. Not sure how long she was off them- but I do know that it was about 40*. In a panic, I threw the eggs under the other hen and she of course tucked them right in. These 3 eggs are about 4-5 days behind the others. I am thinking of candling tonight- but I am so new at this candling business and am afraid that I will miss the signs of these little ones being dead. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Can they get cold at day 12 of development??? Ugh...... the stress of it all! Should never mess with mother nature...

I'm new to chickens myself, but from everything I've read here & elsewhere says you just have to wait & pray...only time will tell
fl.gif

you might be ok, I would wait a couple of days....sometimes the hen knows best, she may boot them out if they are dead....if in a few days she is still sitting on them, i would sneak a couple out and candle them!!

Well the one who abandoned them this morning is out in the pen with all the other chickens and she is barely showing any signs of being broody this afternoon. I think she just may have quit
rant.gif
...... first time broody.......
tongue.gif
But at least the other broody hen took them under. She is a smaller bird though and now she has 15 eggs under her lol. I was thinking of candling tonight to see what was alive still. We have only removed clear eggs so far- as we are unsure what we are looking at in there lol. I have done some research today and learned that we should see lots of movement... we'll see........ Mother hen's original 12 eggs are now 16 days along- so lockdown on those babies is real soon.

if they continue to develop, make sure the hen and all the eggs are confined to a small area, like a dog crate and put the food and water close to the hen so she will continue to sit on the eggs that will hatch later. I think they can tell that there are still viable eggs under themselves and can still teach the 1st hatch to eat and drink without getting off the eggs.

Thanks for the good suggestion. We have her in her own private chicken tractor. I could close it up entirely so she would be confined to the small nest box area.... I was considering to remove the first chickers that hatch to make sure she sticks to the remaining ones. We plan on candling all the eggs tonight to make sure all is good..... tough messing with mother nature! The suspense is insane! lol

Back
Top Bottom