Day 14 but chick in slightly porous egg is small as day 10 (but active)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by highwayhens, Oct 6, 2012.

1. highwayhens

highwayhens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    We put six fertile eggs under our broody bantam cochin on the evening of September 22nd--exactly 14 x 24 hours ago this evening. Not sure if that makes this day 14 or 15.

Five of the eggs look the way they are supposed to look: they are 90% dark with a tiny amount of veiny part showing plus the air cell.

But Egg "C," which seemed to have a small amount of porousness at the top (pointy part) and also a bit of poop on it, looks small, like a 10 day old chick or even smaller. It's jumping around a ton though. I'm worried about it and sad.

Any information about this? Has anyone had a situation like this?
    I'm a first timer and this is a sweet and exciting experience for our family.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    As long as you are seeing movement, I would leave it there and hope for the best, while preparing for the worst. There is really nothing you can do! 100% hatches don't happen everyday so don't kick yourself if this one doesn't hatch. It does sound like the rest are doing well so I would still consider it a good hatch if you end up with some chicks from the deal.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    HEChicken is correct, 100% hatches don't always happen. It might hatch just fine, it might not. Just keep your fingers crossed and keep an eye on it. Good luck!

5. highwayhens

Sep 2, 2009
    @ Hechicken: "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst" That's really good advice. I was wondering if I could have any hope at all, but it sounds like these little guys (er, hopefully "gal") sometimes make it.

6. highwayhens

Sep 2, 2009
    @ Sallysunshine
    Thanks for the reminder--I will NOT candle after...is it day 18 that they go into lock down? Today, Monday, it's day 16/17. Maybe I won't even candle tonight.

7. Old English GB

Old English GB Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    The Coop
    Too much candling is not really good for the eggs either. temps fluctuate a lot when you remove the eggs & place them against the light. I usually candle somewhere between day 7-10 & when I move them into lockdown. I don't bother them other than to turn them the rest of the time. If the eggs go past day 22 without pipping I sometimes candle again just to see if there is still movement & to see if there has been an internal pip. If I see a baby wiggling away in there it goes back in the bator. If I don't see movement I will usually use a knife or a needle to pip the air cell & check the color of the membrane. If it's white & wiggly give the baby more time in the bator. If it's turning yellow or brown your baby is likely dead already. I finish peeling more of the shell away until I can tell for sure before tossing tho because I have found babies starting to shrink wrap this way before as well & was able to save them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by