Day 15.... cotournix quail eggs... do I expect any movement yet? Or do I wait?

RenegadeSkate3

Chirping
Jul 3, 2018
It’s day 15 and I’m hoping for movement.... if any of you are willing to guide me on how to successfully hatch these bad boys/girls healthy please ask me what I need to do I’m new to quail stuff only know stuff due to reading articles... :hit:jumpy

Also I know this is quail forum now... last time I was posting in other forums... I was hoping to find quail experts here(cotournix)

Day 15 is only one day after lockdown, it's okay if nobody's out just yet. NONE of mine visibly wiggled before they started zipping. Give them time, and keep us updated.
Is it okey to candle one egg? To make sure everything is fine? Or should I leave them be?

If you haven't candled them already, it would be a good idea to do that now and then lock them down and don't handle them any more.

In the case of quail eggs, candling generally means that if you see that an egg is dark it has a chick in it and if you see that it's yellow/green when the light shines through, remove and discard the egg.

Sometimes the eggs really wiggle, and other times they don't move much.

If you haven't done so already, when you take them out to candle them before lockdown it's a good idea to put a piece of rubber shelf paper (with holes) onto the bottom of the incubator so that when the chicks hatch they are able to get their legs under them. Otherwise, their legs can splay. Also in the brooder for the first couple of days you want to make sure that they aren't slipping around so I use shelf paper there as well.

Yes everything what the above posted said. If you haven’t candled yet and no one has pipped I would do it, make sure after you do it and toss the bad eggs that the humidity goes back up to proper levels you want it higher for hatching some people say 60, some say 75 some say 85%, so I mean you gotta decide what you are gonna go with.

Keep the temp at 99.5 or at least I’ve always done that maybe other people don’t I’ve no idea, I’ve not had any issues so, anyway after candle and raising humidity just leave it be and you can check through the incubator windows or whatever it is yours has with like a flash light or something to see if any have pipped.

I usually get quite a bit of wiggling day 16, some on day 15, day 17 is either quiet or a hatch day depending on how fast they developed and stuff, and 18 would be my finish day, last few eggs hatch or are dead and I toss everything (actually I do not waste the shells) and wash the incubator.

All chicks into the brooder, heat lamp, tiny bit of water like a bottle cap and sprinkle some really small crumbled food on the floor. I don’t use a bowl til day two or so. Day 2 I also use a small bowl with marbles for water. I keep changing the water and food bowls out as they grow to fit their needs... That’s prob not common it’s just what I do cause I dunno why. Lol.

I use paper towels on the bottom they seem ok with that. I’ve not got any splayed legs yet, I did have a toe curl that didn’t correct itself after a day or two like usual so I made him bandaids for his feet and in 2 days he was good as new, completely fine. They have super powers to heal themselves!

Sometimes if my chicks seem slow to grow than others of the same age I will separate to make sure they are getting enough food and I also put baby vitamins minus the iron in their water this seems to help them catch back up. If it’s just one I give the vitamins into his tiny mouth with a tiny tiny tip of a plastic thing I have and then place him back he usually catches up to the rest.

So that’s it really. You sit back and watch. If one seems really stuck and cant push out of the egg people say leave it but I personally can’t so yes I will reach in and pop the top off his shell and let him finish pushing out and hatch. This has not affected my other eggs that are hatching or pipping but I try to only do it when no one else is mid-zip out. I wait til they have zipped and if they struggle at the push and yes I may reach in. Takes just a sec.

Last edited:
19BE76DE-D4FF-42FA-92ED-57D58EA591D9.jpeg
First of all... I know the picture shows me rising the egg lion king style... well it’s becuase I looked at all my eggs for any sign of crack before the incubation and no sign what so ever, this one shows an specific crack in its side(you guys can’t see it since it’s almost invisible) looking like a small crater and huge zip to it.... so I’m guessing baby quail started working.... or it may just have Brocken.... anyways I’m exited and unpatient...:barnie

Yes everything what the above posted said. If you haven’t candled yet and no one has pipped I would do it, make sure after you do it and toss the bad eggs that the humidity goes back up to proper levels you want it higher for hatching some people say 60, some say 75 some day 85%, so I mean you gotta decide what you are gonna go with.

Keep the temp at 99.5 or at least I’ve always done that maybe other people don’t I’ve no idea, I’ve not had any issues so, anyway after candle and raising humidity just leave it be and you can check through the incubator windows or whatever it is yours has with like a flash light or something to see if any have pipped.

I usually get quite a bit of wiggling day 16, some on day 15, day 17 is either quiet or a hatch day depending on how fast they developed and stuff, and 18 would be my finish day, last few eggs hatch or are dead and I toss everything (actually I do not waste the shells) and wash the incubator.

All chicks into the brooder, heat lamp, tiny bit of water like a bottle cap and sprinkle some really small crumbled food on the floor. I don’t use a bowl til day two or so. Day 2 I also use a small bowl with marbles for water. I keep changing the water and food bowls out as they grow to fit their needs... That’s prob not common it’s just what I do cause I dunno why. Lol.

I use paper towels on the bottom they seem ok with that. I’ve not got any splayed legs yet, I did have a toe curl that didn’t correct itself after a day or two like usual so I made him bandaids for his feet and in 2 days he was good as new, completely fine. They have super powers to heal themselves!

Sometimes if my chicks seem slow to grow than others of the same age I will separate to make sure they are getting enough food and I also put baby vitamins minus the iron in their water this seems to help them catch back up. If it’s just one I give the vitamins into his tiny mouth with a tiny tiny tip of a plastic thing I have and then place him back he usually catches up to the rest.

So that’s it really. You sit back and watch. If one seems really stuck and catch push out of the egg people say leave it but I personally can’t so yes I will reach in and pop the top off his shell and let him finish pushing out and hatch. This has not affected my other eggs that are hatching or pipping but I try to only do it when no one else is mid-zip out. I wait til they have zipped and if they struggle at the push and yes I may reach in. Takes just a sec.
Also I gotta thank you... the whole reason of this post was to get someone to clan me down and show me fats or opinions on the quail... you taking your time to tell my sorry but to chill about the lockdown helped... I appreciate it man(knowing your a woman... but don’t know how to replace the word “thanks man” sorry :th) otherwise thanks allot!!!! ^~^

0E6ADE39-A00E-4784-8348-3DBF21071597.jpeg
Another photo update on them being in day 15 without any movement whatsoever.... I’m kinda worried.... lockdown makes me really anxious... it’s 1:35am can’t sleep :hit

Back
Top Bottom