1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day 17, I think I may have killed my chicks- help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by new2thechickworld, Mar 21, 2008.

1. new2thechickworld

new2thechickworld Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Texas
    Hi I am new at incubating- this is our first time. We or really I have put so much work, time and love into these little eggs. We recently candled them and for sure have 3 out of 4 silkies doing very well. However, I have had a few minor issues with the temperture the past 2 days- so this morning I attempted to adjust it. An hour later I came back and the themometor was maxed out at 120! Did I kill them? I am so very upset. I tried checking one but it wasn't moving. I am really hoping someone gives me the news I want to hear but the truth is better- If you have any knowledge on this please let me know.

Thanks in advance-
    Crying over the eggs.[​IMG]

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Don't give up yet just wait it out.You may get a few to survive.

3. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    in all honesty i dont really think they are going to make it. im sorry. it really depends on how long they were in that high temperature. i would try candling a little later to see, but personally at this poitn i would just wait out the next couple of days you only have 4 more days to go and you never know ...ther still might be someone who can make it. i would just wait and see. keep me posted k

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I was on day 16 with 2 duck eggs both were growing and wiggling in there - than my bator spiked twice once was 110 - the other was 112 - I lost both of my babies.

I have since set more ducks and trying again....

let them stay in there for the next few days and hope for the best....

Julie

5. new2thechickworld

Mar 21, 2008
    Texas
    I really appreciate everyones input. I will be standing by the incubator impatiently the next couple of days. My husband said, you can't get attached to an egg- but I say oh yes you can! I will keep posting the results. Thanks to everyone

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck. If it was only an hour... we can hope that the egg temp never got that high.

Hold on tight. [​IMG]

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Let your DH pick eggs to hatch and we'll see if he doesn't get attached, eh!!! Stupid bator, sorry bout that. :|

8. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Of course you can get attached to eggs. Who doesn't among us get disappointed when we have a low hatch rate or panic when we temperature issues.....

9. new2thechickworld

Mar 21, 2008
    Texas
    Well I just candled 2 of my silkies and I could tell atleast 1 of them is still moving! Thats a little relief, I'll take one survival.

10. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I have my fingers crossed. What day are you on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by