Day 17 incubation- weird candling question

should it be sleeping? Hasn’t moved at all for several hours?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 16
Sad to report, became obvious that chick was not sleeping.
We decided to open the bator to see for certain, and on removal we were pretty certain that it was too late. So we went ahead and carefully started to remove small pieces of shell, to find chick had definitely died.
I took photos as we unpicked the shell, in the hope that someone more experienced could offer advice as to what went soo wrong?
Its beak was sticking out of the shell, so it was breathing, when we unpeeled the shell it appeared the membrane was ok?
There were no veins until we reached half way down the egg, there were some veins and a small amount of yoke in the lower half. The chick is moist and well formed, I just don’t know what went wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1554.jpeg
    IMG_1554.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    996.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1557.jpeg
    IMG_1557.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 10
Further note, much happier note… since we had to open the bator anyway we decided to check Egg B as last candle before we locked down showed no internal pip of Egg B.
So, I candled him just now thinking that he too was probably non viable, but to my surprise, I can clearly see movement. It is a rhythmic rocking movement at the lowest area of shadow, right near the air cell. So I quickly placed it back in the bator. I attached a pic, green circles area is the rocking area, I assume he may be trying to internal pip.
It is day 28, so this little one still has a chance! The chick appears to be much smaller than Egg A, but fingers crossed that this first timer might still have a slight chance of having a baby pea survive.

Attachments

• IMG_1559.jpeg
    IMG_1559.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 12
Sad to report, became obvious that chick was not sleeping.
We decided to open the bator to see for certain, and on removal we were pretty certain that it was too late. So we went ahead and carefully started to remove small pieces of shell, to find chick had definitely died.
I took photos as we unpicked the shell, in the hope that someone more experienced could offer advice as to what went soo wrong?
Its beak was sticking out of the shell, so it was breathing, when we unpeeled the shell it appeared the membrane was ok?
There were no veins until we reached half way down the egg, there were some veins and a small amount of yoke in the lower half. The chick is moist and well formed, I just don’t know what went wrong?
I’m very sorry 😢
It looks to me like the yolk was fully absorbed
The swollen belly is from absorbing
It’s really hard to say what happened but
My thought would be possibly baby gave up when it couldn’t zip out
That’s just a guess

I’m very sorry 😢
It looks to me like the yolk was fully absorbed
The swollen belly is from absorbing
It’s really hard to say what happened but
My thought would be possibly baby gave up when it couldn’t zip out
That’s just a guess
Thank you.
With just one egg left in bator, I really appreciate any feedback in regards if there was something I did wrong or whether I could have intervened earlier?
I guess it’s a steep learning curve, and as a nurse I understand that not everyone survives, but I still feel so disappointed, we were soooo close.
We will now focus on little Egg B, and hope it makes it through ok 🤞🏼

Thank you.
With just one egg left in bator, I really appreciate any feedback in regards if there was something I did wrong or whether I could have intervened earlier?
I guess it’s a steep learning curve, and as a nurse I understand that not everyone survives, but I still feel so disappointed, we were soooo close.
We will now focus on little Egg B, and hope it makes it through ok 🤞🏼
Baby looked like it was going to hatch so I’m not sure you could have done a thing different
I do assist if baby hadn’t made external pip
Or there is a bruise at the wrong end
Or baby naked a big hole instead of a zip
But to have one make the external and not show signs of needing help I wouldn’t have jumped in
I don’t think it’s anything you did
There can be internal things that we can’t see
Sometimes as hard as it is
It’s better they pass on their own then us having to cull after we have had time to love them ( talking from experience)

Graphic images attached.

Ok, final outcome for Egg B.
4 days ago when candles Egg B could be seen pulsing against the air cell.
Following day, no internal pip and no movement. Left in incubator for further two days, no movement during those days and still no internal pip.
Today after candling I decided to float egg. Floated fat end up almost vertically.
So at that point I decided to open up the egg and try to see what went wrong.
I cracked egg at fastest point into the air cell. The membrane was in tact, but the instant I opened the membrane I could see the chick was laying in a massive pool of blood. So I assume it hit a vein when it was attempting to pip.
When I fully hatched the chick, which was dead, its foot was over its head.
I have attached photos for any comments or advice as I am a first timer and am making a lot of assumptions based only on what I have read.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 8
Graphic images attached.

Ok, final outcome for Egg B.
4 days ago when candles Egg B could be seen pulsing against the air cell.
Following day, no internal pip and no movement. Left in incubator for further two days, no movement during those days and still no internal pip.
Today after candling I decided to float egg. Floated fat end up almost vertically.
So at that point I decided to open up the egg and try to see what went wrong.
I cracked egg at fastest point into the air cell. The membrane was in tact, but the instant I opened the membrane I could see the chick was laying in a massive pool of blood. So I assume it hit a vein when it was attempting to pip.
When I fully hatched the chick, which was dead, its foot was over its head.
I have attached photos for any comments or advice as I am a first timer and am making a lot of assumptions based only on what I have read.
He was positioned wrong, chicks i've tried to help who were positioned wrong tend to survive about a week at most and then don't make it. The pictures for B earlier on did look to have a second aircell, which I've only seen happen with tiny cracks in the shell letting in air where it shouldnt be. Which would also explain the larger aircell at the top. With less space it was quite likely for this chick to be malpositioned there wasnt really anything you could have done.

For chick A it seems he got all the way done and either didnt have the strength to zip, or humidity might have been off, but it doesnt sound like it. His positioning looked good.

Maybe you'll have some babies next tume you try

Back
Top Bottom