Day 17 incubation- weird candling question

Rachnwoody

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2023
Hi, I am new to owning peafowl. One of our hens laid 4 eggs, we incubated them. We lost two in first two weeks. Removed them.
Two remaining eggs are at day 17, when candling they look very different, one chick (egg A) is very active, the other moves but not much and it’s seems to have a weird area on one side (egg B), I have attached photos for reference as it’s hard to explain.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpeg
    IMG_1410.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1409.jpeg
    IMG_1409.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 22
Hi, I am new to owning peafowl. One of our hens laid 4 eggs, we incubated them. We lost two in first two weeks. Removed them.
Two remaining eggs are at day 17, when candling they look very different, one chick (egg A) is very active, the other moves but not much and it’s seems to have a weird area on one side (egg B), I have attached photos for reference as it’s hard to explain.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal?
To me it looks like air cells on both of them but the one on the right is a little bit larger. Since they are both the same age egg in the same incubator, they should be very close to the same. It still could be okay and sometimes they're sleeping or tired when we candle them. Since it's still moving at day 17, I'd think it should make it.

Good luck on your hatch!!

To me it looks like air cells on both of them but the one on the right is a little bit larger. Since they are both the same age egg in the same incubator, they should be very close to the same. It still could be okay and sometimes they're sleeping or tired when we candle them. Since it's still moving at day 17, I'd think it should make it.

Good luck on your hatch!!
Sorry, both photos on my original post were egg B.
Egg B has a larger main air cell as well as the ‘weird section on the side.
I’ve attached more photos off both eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1419.jpeg
    IMG_1419.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 18
I dunno. That B does look suspicious now that I see it. Still, you said it was moving. You've only got a few days to go so I would for sure leave it in there. I've had worse questionable ones I left in there with question marks on them and in one of my last hatches a question-marked egg hatched.

I'm no expert on peafowl eggs but it looks like Egg B has 2 aircells?? That is weird, I have never seen that in any other bird eggs.
Your about half way through the incubation period, so I'd just see if it continues to develop.

So, day 24, egg B still has a weird side area, however it has changed dramatically in the last 24hrs. It is no longer fully visible, maybe a third of the size it was yesterday. Its actual air cell is much larger than Egg A’s.
Anyway, lockdown on Friday, so I guess we will know soon enough.
I promise to update if/when we hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpeg
    IMG_1508.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1506.jpeg
    IMG_1506.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1505.jpeg
    IMG_1505.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 16
I had a duck egg that had 2 air cells. We didn’t know till hatch time
Both were attached
One at each end of the egg
Unfortunately it left less room for the baby to develop
He needed assisting in hatching
As he couldn’t get turned
Keep a close eye on the egg for bruising ( in case you need to help )
Each case is different so he may be just fine in hatching and growth

I had a duck egg that had 2 air cells. We didn’t know till hatch time
Both were attached
One at each end of the egg
Unfortunately it left less room for the baby to develop
He needed assisting in hatching
As he couldn’t get turned
Keep a close eye on the egg for bruising ( in case you need to help )
Each case is different so he may be just fine in hatching and growth
That’s at least encouraging, I had pretty much assumed egg B would be a loss, but maybe it had a chance 🤞🏼

Back
Top Bottom