Day 17 of incubation - broody behaves differently

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi :) its the end of day 17 of incubation now and my cute serema broody has "changed" a bit in the last 2 days 😅 -
First, she eats MUCH less. She usually loves boiled eggs which I give her every day in her daily break. But since day 15 of incubation (the last two days) she isnt interested in eating boiled eggs anymore. Only a little scartch feed. Also, she used to come out at least twice a day but now only once in the early morning hours. In addition she is a bit more "angry" when we get close to her nest.

She looks healthy and active when she is out - that's hasn't changed.

Maybe she feels that it's about to happen? Does she know? Maybe she feels them moving in the eggs?
Thank you all in advance :)

Hi :) its the end of day 17 of incubation now and my cute serema broody has "changed" a bit in the last 2 days 😅 -
First, she eats MUCH less. She usually loves boiled eggs which I give her every day in her daily break. But since day 15 of incubation (the last two days) she isnt interested in eating boiled eggs anymore. Only a little scartch feed. Also, she used to come out at least twice a day but now only once in the early morning hours. In addition she is a bit more "angry" when we get close to her nest.

She looks healthy and active when she is out - that's hasn't changed.

Maybe she feels that it's about to happen? Does she know? Maybe she feels them moving in the eggs?
Thank you all in advance :)
A broody hen generally handles lockdown just like an incubator, they will hunker down the last three days. Totally normal. I'd give her some space and let her do her thing. Happy hatching!

Thank you!
You mean she KNOWS when the lockdown should begin?? Thats amazing!! How?
Idk, but she knows, maybe she can sense them shifting into position 🤷 My broody this year got eggs that were in the incubator 4 days before she started sitting (I gave them to her 1 week before hatch day) but she knew when it was day 18 for the eggs, even though it was only day 14 for her

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom