Day 19. Anxiety

If it helps any, my Brinsea is running like a dream - a little noisy and hard to get a humidity monitor in (it's a small one) but I have sorted it with a tiny monitor and careful placement. I am running a dry inc this time around (it's fairly humid here anyway) and will only be messing with humidity up to day 18 if it drops below 18%. I have heard great things about dry inc and I think that may have been part of my problem (as well as temp being too low).

Out of 12 eggs (staggered inc) I have a couple of minor saddle air sacs but one completely detached. I am going to put that one in my manual turner in an egg carton and just tilt. I don't even know how many are viable yet - but I have my fingers crossed and I am doing all the maths on weight!

Wish me luck 🐥

If it helps any, my Brinsea is running like a dream - a little noisy and hard to get a humidity monitor in (it's a small one) but I have sorted it with a tiny monitor and careful placement. I am running a dry inc this time around (it's fairly humid here anyway) and will only be messing with humidity up to day 18 if it drops below 18%. I have heard great things about dry inc and I think that may have been part of my problem (as well as temp being too low).

Out of 12 eggs (staggered inc) I have a couple of minor saddle air sacs but one completely detached. I am going to put that one in my manual turner in an egg carton and just tilt. I don't even know how many are viable yet - but I have my fingers crossed and I am doing all the maths on weight!

Wish me luck 🐥
Luck! And watching for updates!
As far as my updates, I have one egg still not piped, i guess something happened. But of my 7 fertile, six hatched! Thats good odds! Also, one of my hatched chicks has hatched with both legs splayed, possibly a super long hatch did it(?) and one other with a single splayed leg and she took a long time. So now ive got two bity babies in the incubator with k tape and hoping i can get them right. Im raising chickens for food, but when my husband read an article that said to cull these babies i started to cry. I dont know about this. Sigh.

As far as my updates, I have one egg still not piped, i guess something happened. But of my 7 fertile, six hatched! Thats good odds! Also, one of my hatched chicks has hatched with both legs splayed, possibly a super long hatch did it(?) and one other with a single splayed leg and she took a long time. So now ive got two bity babies in the incubator with k tape and hoping i can get them right. Im raising chickens for food, but when my husband read an article that said to cull these babies i started to cry. I dont know about this. Sigh.

Aww - I know what you mean about the food thing. Mine are (or will be) just pets - silkies aren't that appetising, but massive respect to anyone who can. I did think about it. At the end of the day, you have to feel comfortable with the decision - and eggs ARE food ;)

I'm too squeamish to do it myself and my husband is worse than me - I can't even bring myself to do an eggtopsy (I would just sob). Do you have pics of the little'uns? It sounds like they need bit of start but you are doing the right thing.

Well, my hatch is (mostly) finished. I had 26 good eggs at day 18. Ended up with 21 hatches. Not sure if that's fantastic, but I did open the incubator to move dry babies into the brooder a few times.

I still have two call duck eggs in the incubator. I gave it a quick wipeout today, removed broken shells, and put them back in. Lockdown for them is tomorrow, so I will manually turn today and then cross my fingers!

Out of 12 eggs (staggered inc) I have a couple of minor saddle air sacs but one completely detached. I am going to put that one in my manual turner in an egg carton and just tilt. I don't even know how many are viable yet - but I have my fingers crossed and I am doing all the maths on weit!

Wish me luck 🐥
Good luck
Two of mine hatched with splayed legs. I have tiny rubber bands with a piece of a straw for their little splints
I had two hatch with splayed legs n have tiny splints made from rubber bands and a piece of a straw. They are in my brooder in my basement and are cruising everywhere now. I'll be sad when have to put them under my broody hens
20200426_102730.jpg

Wish me luck 🐥
Good luck...itll be good this time!

Aww - I know what you mean about the food thing. Mine are (or will be) just pets - silkies aren't that appetising, but massive respect to anyone who can. I did think about it. At the end of the day, you have to feel comfortable with the decision - and eggs ARE food ;)

I'm too squeamish to do it myself and my husband is worse than me - I can't even bring myself to do an eggtopsy (I would just sob). Do you have pics of the little'uns? It sounds like they need bit of start but you are doing the right thing.
Yes eggs are! And ive already been reading about glassing eggs. Im excited to be able to do this! We are a house of meat eaters, and we cant afford to buy all organic free range. Knowing what i know about factory farming makes raising my own chickens to have had, as i quote, "one bad day" makes me ok with it. But i havent given this baby a good life yet! Lol im SO happy to hear so many have good reaults with splay leg treatments!!

Good luck

Two of mine hatched with splayed legs. I have tiny rubber bands with a piece of a straw for their little splints

I had two hatch with splayed legs n have tiny splints made from rubber bands and a piece of a straw. They are in my brooder in my basement and are cruising everywhere now. I'll be sad when have to put them under my broody hensView attachment 2109124
Thanks for the info. Hearing success makes me happy!!

Back
Top Bottom