Day 19 Eggs Hatching Accidentally Opened Bator

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

On behalf of a friend....

Day 18 I should have pulled out auto turner but I was sick. Went to do it today not realising eggs had started to hatch. Today is day 19. One egg is cheeping, one isn't. Hubby snapped a picture before I got all the eggs back in.
I know I screwed up but is there anything I can do it do I just leave them alone?

One egg is more shell broken than the one pictured. Last opened incubator on Monday to add water.

Humidity is 64%

Attachments

• PXL_20230119_183239738.jpg
    PXL_20230119_183239738.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 137
This is the other egg.

I've said leave alone and just give it time because I have no idea!

Can anyone offer advice?

Attachments

• PXL_20230119_184702863.jpg
    PXL_20230119_184702863.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 27
Just watch for now. May have to assist baby if it doesn't hatch within the next 24-48hrs due to shrinkwrapping but they should be fine ;)

Is there a plug to turn off the incubator instead of taking the turner out? Once they have pipped, it's really dangerous to open the incubator, it can shrink wrap them, which can kill them. You can also quickly and carefully take all of the eggs out and lay them on their side and take the turner out. If you have to, take a warm, wet, and clean towel and wipe the eggs down so the membrane stays moist and prevent it from shrinking. That should be done when you suspect and can confirm that one or multiple eggs have shrink wrapped. Be careful with bacteria getting inside. This is why it's only for emergencies only. You need to do it quick! Try not to keep the incubator open for long so it doesn't get cold inside. The eggs should be okay. The babies all need to be dried off and everyone should be hatched before opening the incubator once lockdown/hatching has started. :)

Last edited:
There are three Articles I'd recommend to you on the page at the link below. The first Article is Guide to Assisted Hatching, then there's The Beginner's Guide to Incubation and then Incubation Humidity.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/hatching-eggs-raising-chickens.22/

Short answer, if you had it open for a short time the eggs should be fine, but if not these Articles will give you tools and techniques to deal with things.

Looks like your incubator doesn't have a turner in it (anymore?) and they're on their sides already for hatching. I would not wipe them with towels or anything (I personally worry about bacteria getting inside the egg). Sounds like your humidity is good at 65%. Time to wait and see?

Thanks everyone!

What a panic.

She opened it and took the eggs out before realising they had started to hatch. She had no intention of opening it after getting the egg turner and tray out and was just doing this to them put them in lockdown.

She had put the eggs on a cloth/towel on the side, it was dark because she was going to candle one last time.

Then heard cheeping. Got the tray and turner out quick and loaded the eggs that were out back in. Total time she thinks was 1 minute max.

What egg is cheeping, brown egg isn't but she doesn't think it ever was.

So she should leave these until tomorrow evening and then assist using the instructions?

First hatch not going as planned. I gave her some of my eggs to hatch. She's starting a flock, well hopefully!

I'm totally new to incubation, so there's that.

But if that happened to me, I would not worry about it too much. One minute is a very small amount of time. Just try and be sure the eggs are positioned on their sides properly, and consider using a safety hole according to the assisted hatch instructions as needed. I think you still have 24-48 hours after external pipping before you need to worry about assisting?

I like the safety hole idea because you can check on the vascularization and whether the chick is shrink wrapped, and apply coconut oil or something as needed.

You guys are in the middle of the most harrowing part (IMO). Good luck!!!

Ah thanks!

I feel kind of responsible as the egg provider but I recently had a disaster with a broody so I am certainly not in a position to advise.

Another one has chipped a hole so that's a positive I think.

Attachments

• PXL_20230119_205437793.jpg
    PXL_20230119_205437793.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 27
Thanks everyone!

What a panic.

She opened it and took the eggs out before realising they had started to hatch. She had no intention of opening it after getting the egg turner and tray out and was just doing this to them put them in lockdown.

She had put the eggs on a cloth/towel on the side, it was dark because she was going to candle one last time.

Then heard cheeping. Got the tray and turner out quick and loaded the eggs that were out back in. Total time she thinks was 1 minute max.

What egg is cheeping, brown egg isn't but she doesn't think it ever was.

So she should leave these until tomorrow evening and then assist using the instructions?

First hatch not going as planned. I gave her some of my eggs to hatch. She's starting a flock, well hopefully!
No, do not assist unless the chick is shrink-wrapped or seems in distress. By the sound of it, your chicks are in no trouble at all and should be able to hatch all on their own.

Back
Top Bottom