Day 19 Eggs Hatching Accidentally Opened Bator

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

On behalf of a friend....

Day 18 I should have pulled out auto turner but I was sick. Went to do it today not realising eggs had started to hatch. Today is day 19. One egg is cheeping, one isn't. Hubby snapped a picture before I got all the eggs back in.
I know I screwed up but is there anything I can do it do I just leave them alone?

One egg is more shell broken than the one pictured. Last opened incubator on Monday to add water.

Humidity is 64%

Attachments

• PXL_20230119_183239738.jpg
    PXL_20230119_183239738.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 139
Thanks everyone!

What a panic.

She opened it and took the eggs out before realising they had started to hatch. She had no intention of opening it after getting the egg turner and tray out and was just doing this to them put them in lockdown.

She had put the eggs on a cloth/towel on the side, it was dark because she was going to candle one last time.

Then heard cheeping. Got the tray and turner out quick and loaded the eggs that were out back in. Total time she thinks was 1 minute max.

What egg is cheeping, brown egg isn't but she doesn't think it ever was.

So she should leave these until tomorrow evening and then assist using the instructions?

First hatch not going as planned. I gave her some of my eggs to hatch. She's starting a flock, well hopefully!
No, do not assist unless the chick is shrink-wrapped or seems in distress. By the sound of it, your chicks are in no trouble at all and should be able to hatch all on their own.

Good luck little ones
I let schools use my stuff and incubate ducklings. We went in on day 25 to remove the turner
Took all the eggs out and were doing a last candle. Felt a external pip and went oh shoot
Added water for humidity. Got eggs in and babies were fine
It was about 5 mins before we realized one had a pip
Nobody was shrink wrapped and all hatched

Ooo that's good news!

The humidity is at 65% now is there anything she should do? I've said leave alone because they all seem to be making progress but I've never used an incubator so I'm not sure if this is the right advice.

Morning all,

The update is another egg has made a hole. So that's 4 eggs that are trying to hatch.

There is some cheeps still.

Gosh it's exciting!
Good luck little ones
I let schools use my stuff and incubate ducklings. We went in on day 25 to remove the turner
Took all the eggs out and were doing a last candle. Felt a external pip and went oh shoot
Added water for humidity. Got eggs in and babies were fine
It was about 5 mins before we realized one had a pip
Nobody was shrink wrapped and all hatched

Is there a plug to turn off the incubator instead of taking the turner out? Once they have pipped, it's really dangerous to open the incubator, it can shrink wrap them, which can kill them. You can also quickly and carefully take all of the eggs out and lay them on their side and take the turner out. If you have to, take a warm, wet, and clean towel and wipe the eggs down so the membrane stays moist and prevent it from shrinking. That should be done when you suspect and can confirm that one or multiple eggs have shrink wrapped. Be careful with bacteria getting inside. This is why it's only for emergencies only. You need to do it quick! Try not to keep the incubator open for long so it doesn't get cold inside. The eggs should be okay. The babies all need to be dried off and everyone should be hatched before opening the incubator once lockdown/hatching has started. :)
Turning off the incubator would be far more dangerous than opening it. Shrink wrapping is a common fear but rarely actually happens. You'd have to have the incubator open for a decent amount of time before the membrane would dry out.

Hey 👋🏼

Sorry for the delay, how did the hatch go?

We have been dry hatching since, we don't add water. The one hatch we did with water was a disaster really.
Hi, the hatch went OK, out of 9 eggs I had 6 live chicks hatch with no probs, 2 late quitters, 1 stuck in egg that had a leg deformity that we ended up culling 😢. incubating eggs was one of the most stressful things I’ve ever done. I did get a full refund for the cheap bator tho, I may try another one some day, but having a broody is way easier! The 6 babies went to my broody hen and they’re all doing great ❤️🐣

Attachments

• 35C6C53B-7423-4356-B6F5-2048C066ABC2.jpeg
    35C6C53B-7423-4356-B6F5-2048C066ABC2.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks everyone!

What a panic.

She opened it and took the eggs out before realising they had started to hatch. She had no intention of opening it after getting the egg turner and tray out and was just doing this to them put them in lockdown.

She had put the eggs on a cloth/towel on the side, it was dark because she was going to candle one last time.

Then heard cheeping. Got the tray and turner out quick and loaded the eggs that were out back in. Total time she thinks was 1 minute max.

What egg is cheeping, brown egg isn't but she doesn't think it ever was.

So she should leave these until tomorrow evening and then assist using the instructions?

First hatch not going as planned. I gave her some of my eggs to hatch. She's starting a flock, well hopefully!

Ah thanks!

I feel kind of responsible as the egg provider but I recently had a disaster with a broody so I am certainly not in a position to advise.

Another one has chipped a hole so that's a positive I think.

Attachments

• PXL_20230119_205437793.jpg
    PXL_20230119_205437793.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 27
Morning all,

The update is another egg has made a hole. So that's 4 eggs that are trying to hatch.

There is some cheeps still.

Gosh it's exciting!

Attachments

• PXL_20230120_083932278.jpg
    PXL_20230120_083932278.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom