Day 19, first hatched but I had to help after it didnt start zipping..

hugs.gif
I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Don't beat yourself up. Most of us would have helped also if we thought it needed it.

Thank you ZooMummzy and nhnanna... I needed to hear that... my other eggs are peeping on the inside and two have pipped, I'm hoping for the best.
hmm.png
and Thank you for the advice ZooMum, I'm going to wait for at least 12 hours before I even think about helping. I hope youre right and that I didn't cause the poor chickys death...

Quote:
You are welcome. I'm totally new at this too, but I've had a lot of people giving me really good advice so I don't mind passing it on. It's easy to blame ourselves...but I don't really think it does any good. I am just taking what I learned from this hatch into the next one and hoping for a good outcome.

And yes, at least 12 hours...even longer. As I said, one of mine took just over 14 hours but I've heard it can take even longer. I was told to sit on my hands and that is what I did for days
lol.png

One of my chicks took 24 hours from pip to zip. He decided to take a long rest after pipping. But boy was it funny, once he got it in his mind he was ready to zip and get up out of that egg it literally took like 5 mins!

Quote:
Same ideal here. If they can't hatch themself they shouldn't be alive for one reason or another. Any that I have helped in the past always had defects and I had to dispose of them anyway. That's never fun. Prepare yourself to deal with it though because it will happen if you continue to hatch.

So your saying then If you have a baby and you need a C setion to get it out you shouldnt?
In nature I would have died and so would my kids so whats the harm in trying
I believe any animal deserves a chance
Just last week I helped a chick hatch that was unszipping but had got stuck as membrane layer of shell had dried was under its mum. Too low humidity , was very active but stuck and she is doing great.
I know people think nature should take its course but look at us humans we get medical treatment intervention how is an animal any different?

Just my thoughts
Natasha

Back
Top Bottom