Day 20 for Coturnix and still nothing.

cant see any movement with candling. My interpretation of float test must have been wrong as 4 of them were definite early quitters. I could tell when candling and threw them out. The others are developed as far as I can tell so I'll give them till tomorrow.
fl.gif

Not a thing.
sad.png
I think if they havent hatched by morning I'm gonna toss them. Unless you guys think there is any hope. I'm starting to think they mustve died or something.

You could open them (carefully from the 'big' end) and see if they are good. You might find some that are still alive.

Was this your first time with coturnix? We all talk about how easy they are, but really you do have to 'learn' how to hatch them. My first try with coturnix resulted in 2 chicks from 20 eggs...my second attempt got 17 of 21
smile.png
So don't give up
hugs.gif

Yes this was my first time hatching coturnix. I am gonna try again as soon as my eggs from Kwartel come in.

Gave in and tryed opening the big end like you said and they were all dead. Seem to have died a few days ago. Had beaks and feathers but had not absorbed the yolk. They were kinda soupy and wet inside the sac. Think my humidity was high? Maybe my springfield thing is wrong.
hu.gif

Had they pipped the membrane? If the humidity was too high it wouldn't bother them until they pipped, then they would have drowned. I'd say it was probably the temperature. Get at least one more of those thermometers and use them both. You can't calibrate the temperature part of it, but you can calibrate the hygrometer...or at least get an idea of where it reads.

To 'calibrate' your hygrometer you need a ziploc baggie, a small bowl, water, and salt. Put 2 parts salt/1 part water in the bowl so that it looks like wet sand. Put the hygrometer inside the baggie (NOT in the bowl
tongue.png
) for at least 8 hours. After this time, the hygrometer should read 75%. If it doesn't, you know how far over or under it normally reads.

Quote:
No the float test doesn't prove they are alive unless you see movement.....I can get the same with any egg base on age.

Myself I think just another misinformation that even got to a stickie......but anyway no harm done.

I'm sorry to hear they didn't make it. I forgot to add water to the pan the first time. You know how that went
smile.png
we all learn and it makes us stronger. Glad you are not giving up
smile.png
Kwartel has great birds
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom