Day 20 hatch baby scared me to death

ChooksinChoppers

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ocala, Florida.
Yesterday one of my Lav silkied AM's hatched ..we were good and stepped away from the bator LOL but when she finally got free of the shell she was dragging around a long stringie thing (umbilical cord?) Today that had dried and wrapped itself around her leg but fell off...whew! now thats she has dried off she is in the brooder with her guardian stuffed dalmation and sleeps under it's legs (it's about 6" tall) TOOO cute! anyhow...she doesnt seem to have much down/feathers on her back? the rest of her is good and fluffy..just curious what might have caused this? stuck to shell? mavbe all the down is just glued down so we can't see it? I hope more hatch today so she will have some buddies ....we named her Happy because it's my birthday...Happy BD to me LOL If the others hatch they can be the other dwarf's name sneezy , grumpy.....uuum I forget the rest LOL
If none of the others hatch I guess I will be off to TSC to get some buddies for her.

So yeah it was a little more stressfull than I had imagined.....here I am replying to my own thread LOL I sat glued to the bator at the first pip at 5pm..she zipped at 7.15 ...I about freaked when I saw the ...actually I did freak LOL poor Squishy (daughter) she wasnt feeling well and had to go lay down....I was crying ....finally I went to bed..and woke up at 4am..Becky/Squishy was sitting up with her and had set her up in the brooder..we changed places and 2 cups of hot tea later I was felling better. Becky had taught her to find the water by tapping the waterer with her finger and cheeping to her.....the note she left me was long..LOL so I have been cheeping and tapping all day long...tepms here in Florida up and down...brooder too hot..move the lamp...incubator checked every 15 mins....arrrgh!this is worse than having a human baby!

I had a hedemora chick that had been shrink wrapped in the shell. He didn't hatch until day 23. He had the same umbilical cord type string hanging off of his tushy. It came right off. He seems to be doing great. I agree with you that it is worse than having a human baby. When that little guy was taking so long I was at the incubator every 5 seconds. I have 12 more eggs in another incubator and today is day 20. I've seen some rocking and rolling around so hopefully these guys don't have any problems. I hope all yours hatch!!!!

Thanks Gadget girl! I do feel better today..praying for the other eggsto hatch.....I seem to screw up big time around here......sprayed a wasp nest outside my bedroom window after dark..oh no ...fumes getting into house....will kill chick.
No smoking inside house....no cooking....no drinking (ok I just added that LOL)

Well all that was a year ago now....have a borrowed laptop (from my new landlord no less LOL) But yes Ms Happy chicken just turned one yr old and she rules the back yard....2 other hens 1 horse 3 cats and a jack russell
hide.gif
plus the neighbors dog through the fence. We have a large back deck and she is always popping up the steps and letting herself in through the back door (maybe I leave it open) She is the only one of the 3 to have laid eggs all winter.

Back
Top Bottom