Day 20, No activity.....Is this normal? Chicken mom freaking out! :)

Water candle. Place them in a deep dish of warm water, preferable temp is that of your incubator. Live embryos will wobble when allowed to float. This method will not cause any harm to the chicks.

Yes I forgot to post this- I did water candle and regular candle- no movement :'( I'm going to try again for the hatch along though!

I am also in lock down with my 3rd try in hatching eggs! I feel better about this hatch!

My husband and I made our incubator from a styrophome cooler (the large one) from Walmart. I can't begain to tell you how much better this hatch has gone. You will have lots of questions and concerns as wells as a high stress level. But I am sure you love what your doing when it's all done. It's such a AWSOME experience to be a part of.

Keep us updated on your babies!

I would calibrate your thermometers, they may not be accurate. I have had many problems with this, burned through 4 thermometers so far. Some can run as much as five degrees off!

I would calibrate your thermometers, they may not be accurate. I have had many problems with this, burned through 4 thermometers so far. Some can run as much as five degrees off!
My first hatch I bought a BRAND NEW thermometer/hygrometer. I never calibrated/checked it (figured it was new, right?) and only had that one thermometer in the incubator the whole time. Even though they were moving well at lockdown, they looked a little behind I was hoping it was just my inexperienced eye. Well day 24 I finally got one to hatch, day 25 the second hatched and died. I bought 3 thermometers for my second attempt and checked the other one to those. My first thermometer was between 6-7 degrees off!!! So when I thought it was 99-100 I was no where close and it compromised my hatch. Now I will never depend on one. I will always have the three in there.

I have calibrated it, I only have one thermometer.. I'm starting 5 new eggs tomorrow so hopefully I'll have a better hatch! So I think this time I will monitor the incubator a little more closely and I probably won't candle as often as I did IF at all, because I think I killed the embryo by candling it

I would definitely candle at least twice. If a quitter goes unnoticed for long periods of time, bacteria will grow inside it creating pressure. These eggs have the potential to explode, contaminating your remaining eggs. I failed to candle my last batch, I had a rather unpleasant surprise in my incubator at 2 weeks....

Back
Top Bottom