Day 20 Of Hatching Eggs for the first time!

Its a small amount of blood, its not coming from the chick its coming from the shell, like its around the chick. Hes pretty much out, i think its from him moving around and kicking. He does have toe tails. I think hes fine, hes sleeping right now. and hes still breathing.

That's normal. A small amount of blood may have been left in the membrane and not absorbed. Sounds good to me! C'mon the rest of you chickies!!
yippiechickie.gif

The second chicken is now hatching. Hes got part of the shell cracked and i can hear him but dont see him haha. The first was is a mix of Polish Rooster and mix of my black and white spotted hen. Hes looks grayish! Hes cute too!!!
woot.gif

They can go up to three days without food and water. They absorb the yolk and that sustains them. But once they are dry and fluffy, put them in the brooder with food and water. Mine starting pecking at the food in about an hour or so. I showed the first chick where the water was, and the second chick followed her lead. Make sure they are all eating and drinking by day 2 or 3!! I put marbles in my water dispenser for the first three days, as I heard that they can drown in the small amount of water. None of mine ever showed that inclination, but why tempt the fates? I removed the marbles yesterday, and all are doing fine. Sorry about the one that died, it happens...

Jeff, CONGRATULATIONS on the eggs that hatched! Sorry you lost one of them. Still nothing here...I'm going to wait until Wednesday and if I don't have anything hatching by then, I'm going to break one open and see what's going on. I'd like to just candle them, but with the dark brown shell, I'm having trouble seeing. Hopefully I get at least one:/

Yes the brown ones are hard to candle, i do have a chicken that lays the brown ones and even the green ones are harder to see into than the white ones. Give them time. I know it stinks but i mean im on day 24 and im just starting to have some hatch. Itll take a few days sometimes. And whatever you do. Take it out side to break it open. cause if its dead or spoiled man you will know it! Its soo nasty. I broke one that was not even in the incubator and it was in the sun too long and wow i thought i was going to die.

Back
Top Bottom