Day 20 Of Hatching Eggs for the first time!

Jefferybny

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Syracuse, New York
So ive been very curious of hatching these eggs. Man its been a long time. im always checking on them. Today is day 20 and im really really worried. i have them next to my computer and im constantly watching. i think i see one pip but im not sure. I hope everything is okay. I dont see any rolling or anything.
sad.png
I need comfort and some sort of reassurance lol.

Don't fret! It's only day 20. Mine didn't start rocking till mid day 21, and then some of them never did. Some started peeping in the shells before they even pipped. When you hear that, that means they have broken into the air sac, and things will progress from there. Keep your temps (if you have a forced air incubator w/fan), between 99.5-101, and make sure your humidity is at least 60%, even better between 65-70%. My first hatch started yesterday at 7am, and is STILL going on! I've had three hatch, one is zipping, and two more eggs are now starting to rock! Good luck with your babies!!
fl.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I cannot wait. I just purchased a digital thermo and humity. So now i can make sure its up there. I didnt have that before. I have a still air one so im not sure how well that is going to do. Im excited though. When we did the candling.they were all fertile. I have 1 rooster and 4 hens so he keeps up. haha

Where on this site is the information about Lockdown? And what is zipping? I have in the past hatched chicks, but these are new words to me. I was on my own back in the day. I just received my Brower incubator and want to get started. Need to get the temp and humidity stabilized first. Am starting with Call Ducks which I hear is not easy. Oh well, jumping in with both feet. Thanks for any guidance.

Where on this site is the information about Lockdown? And what is zipping? I have in the past hatched chicks, but these are new words to me. I was on my own back in the day. I just received my Brower incubator and want to get started. Need to get the temp and humidity stabilized first. Am starting with Call Ducks which I hear is not easy. Oh well, jumping in with both feet. Thanks for any guidance.

Reply: I dont know what lockdown or zipping is. This is my first time with Chickens. They shoud be hatching sometime tomorrow. New Words to me too. Im excited though lol. I have heard ducks are hard but they hatch faster i think.

If you do a "search" here on the site for "lockdown" or "zipping", lots of past posts will come up, as for anything else you want to know. As for what is lockdown; lockdown is the last three days before hatching. Days 1-18 (I'm speaking chickens here), the eggs should be turned at least 3 times a day if you don't have an automatic turner. On the start of the 19th day, turning stops, remove the turner if you have one. Humidity should be raised to at least 60%, and after my first hatch, I have found closer to 70% is even better. Don't open the incubator!! That's why it's called lockdown! As for "zipping", it is how the chick literally zips the shell open. Starts with a "pip", a tiny crack in the shell, and then they start to chisel away the shell in a line, kind of looking like a zipper. Those are my understandings of the terms, some of the more experienced folks may chime in here with more technical info. But for anything you need, literally, enter a few key words in the "Search bar" at the top right of the page, and all sorts of past Q&As will be there for you! Good luck to you both!!

Ohh Sounds good. Yeah i took out the automatic egg turner on day 19. The humity is at 80%. This hatch is deff a learning experence. The next one will be better. i have heard some rocking and i think i see a pip but not 100% sure because this is my first time. I really thank you for helping me though. Wish i had found this form a while ago ha ha. I got 48 hatching so we will see how many come out. I will prob do another batch after this and then thats it for the season.

Here is a hatching tip that works for me... read a book or go to the mall, just leave the house. The first two hatches I about went crazy with worry then I just started finding something that kept me from watching the bator all the time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom