Day 21 and a bit of a vent ! **update**

cheepchicks

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Indiana
I received an email today from the lady I bought the eggs from. She is sending me more eggs.

Ok so today is day 21 of the hatching. I have noticed the egg wiggling around but no peeping sounds. I am so worried that it will not hatch. When should I be so worried that I consider helping it?

Now for the vent. I bought these eggs on ebay. They arrived nicely packaged and no broken eggs. As I have stated 7 were infertile, 2 died (arrested development) and the last one is just now trying to hatch.
wink.png

Yesterday I email the lady about the infertile eggs and she was quite hostile.
sad.png
She did not like me telling her 7 of them were infertile. She stated that she had blah blah blah years of college dealing with genetics and fertility. She wanted to know how I knew they were infertile w/o breaking them open. I told her I broke them open at approximately day 14 due to the fact that they were weeping egg yolk. Anyway she never responded. She did state in the original email that she would mail more if I really wanted.
roll.png
I guess my biggest issue with this is being treated like an idiot. I did not complain I only asked if it was normal for so many of them to be infertile. I didn't even ask for more eggs. However, I feel that I am due 6 fertile eggs which is what I paid for. Is this asking too much?

Last edited:
Kim, I think she NEEDS to replace them! How rude of her to respond that way!
I sure hope the last little one hatches. Give it at least 2 or 3 more days...then candle it to see if it has broken through the air cell. let us know!
fl.gif

I had the same thing happen to me and the lady got pissy in the reply email. She said she would refund my money we'll see. I had emailed her before and said that most were infertile and she sent me 4 replacments but one broke. The other 3 were infertile too. So I mailed her eggs back to her and thats when she said she would email the money back. Plus I emailed her because of the two ameriaucana chicks I did get one has a single comb and it's suppose to have a pea comb. So that chick is useless to me as far as breeding. I will let my niece have it as a pet. Hope it works out for you.

She should not be hostile about it. Obviously, she can't know for a fact that every egg is fertile, but really, if she has seasoned layers and has been doing this for awhile, there shouldn't be that many infertile. Now, things happen beyond human control, but she really should send some replacements if a good number were infertile. I would and will. I sent some that I had no reason to believe were NOT fertile since most were, but for some reason, the cockerel wasnt successful in mating one particular pullet. These were basically sent for the cost of postage and a couple bucks more, but I informed the buyers the minute I realized what must be happening, and will send more at a later date. I mean a rooster could be losing his fertility, unbeknownst to the owner, but heck, no reason for hostility.
I know from experience that out of one hen, several eggs can be fertile, then one skipped somehow, and the rest fertile. But, that's not seven. Now, a seller can't be responsible for a bad hatch if they were fertile to begin with-postal mishandling, incorrect incubation, etc. anything could happen to the eggs after they leave her hands, but you can usually tell if one was fertile to begin with when you crack it open after it doesn't hatch.

Sorry for your low fertility rate. I hope the one makes it. I would leave it in for a few more days too. The lady should not have been rude when you talked with her. It is possible that bad handling went wrong but also for all the reasons aforementioned. Hatching shipped eggs can be a pain. Good luck, hope you find a resolution.

The thing is I don't really think she did anything wrong. I just think it was a glitch and I didn't really ask for more eggs. I just wanted to know if that was normal and maybe I should have bought more eggs. Because frankly, even the postal system can't be blamed for infertile eggs. I have read and compared and watched carefully about what they egg should look like at different stages of development. Heck there is a great post by Poison Ivy that show eggs at various stages of development. If I had not believed they were infertile I would not have emailed her. I would think she would be glad to have someone let her know there is a potential problem. Anyway, the baby has pipped through the air cell. I hope not much longer the suspense (sp?) is killing me.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom